1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When to come out to parents

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Lua, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Lua

Lua

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So over the last few months, I've been questioning my sexuality and I think I may be bisexual. I've had male crushes and one longtime (now ex) boyfriend, but I've always been attracted to women as well. I've always dismissed that attraction as jealously or wanting to be like them, but now I think I recognize it for what it is. When I eventually come to a conclusion, I don't know when/if I should tell my parents. They're pretty accepting of my LGBT friends (I have quite a few), but I'm not sure how they would deal with my possibly being bisexual. My mom has told me in the past that she's "really glad [I'm] straight" and my dad doesn't really "get" other sexualities and is very religious (Catholic) and conservative. Overall I'm pretty sure they'd be fine with it, but I don't want to make my relationship with them awkward or anything, even if I'm leaving for college after this summer.

If I end up completely identifying as bisexual, should I tell them right away? Or should I wait for when/if I eventually end up in a relationship with a girl? They're (understandably) very heterosexual in their views of what they'll let me do or not do, such as sleepovers with boys in the same house (even if on separate floors), wanting me to request the all-girls dorm at the colleges I've applied to, etc.; so I don't know how/if my being bisexual would affect things like that if I come out before I go to college. I guess I'm just trying to decide if telling them would enhance my life or hurt it.

This is all very hypothetical and speculative so thanks for giving me an outlet for these kinds of concerns. I feel very safe here :slight_smile:

2. axelkyle

Out Status:
    Some people
    It is hard coming out to parents! I told my mum about being bi as well as trans, but that was with help from a psychiatrist! Are you at that college yet? If no, maybe wait until then so you can give your parents time to cool off. And if your not 100% sure about being bisexual, thats ok cause you still have a chance to like men, as well as women. If your parents don't take it well, try not to talk to them about it for a while. My mum has known since September last year, and she is still slightly uncomfortable.... Please just do what you believe will work. If you tell them, Good Luck:eusa_clap(*hug*):grin:

3. Lua

Lua

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you for the advice! I'm in my last few months of high school, but I'll be going to college in Texas most likely so the distance could help. I'll give myself some more time. I actually told my best friend today that I think I might be bisexual so at least one person knows!