1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seeing the guidance counselor tomorrow..

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by choirsmash, Mar 3, 2015.

1. choirsmash

I scheduled an appointment with one of our guidance counselors for tomorrow and I'm super nervous. I was prompted to do so by my teacher that I've been talking to about all this. He said that she is supposed to have a lot of resources for lgbt kids. She's not my usual counselor though (mine is an awkward guy haha but he's good for college stuff), so I'm a little bit nervous. I know her because she's the advisor for a club I'm in though. I just don't know what to say. I basically have to come out to her which I'm nervous about by itself but I don't know what else to say. I'm struggling with it? Maybe? I dunno. Help.

2. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    (*hug*)(&&&)

I'd say don't be nervous... just be yourself...

well you could say you are lgbt... talk a bit about your feelings... and ask her how she might support you...

I'd say just take your time, and talk to her :kiss:

3. love dont judge

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would go with what jay777 suggested. Im going to anyway. I set up an appointment with my counselo'r for the first time tomorrow

4. tyuiop97

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I also agree with Jay. I talked with my counselor right before I decided to come out to my sisters as well as my whole school and she just calmed me down so much. She also walked me through my plans to make sure it would go as planned and gave me recommendations to help it go better such as calling my sisters before posting it on Facebook. (They live in a separate city). Talk to her depending on what you're experiencing. If you need to accept yourself more, discuss that. If you want to come out soon, discuss that. Once you get a conversation started, the rest will come pouring out :slight_smile:

5. choirsmash

Well, they cancelled school today. So..I'll have to reschedule an appointment (which is hell to do but it's possible) for another time. Hopefully they just decide to push back all of the appointments one day and I'll just have it the same time tomorrow. At least I have another day to think of what I'm gonna say and stuff

6. musicman1982

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey,

I am going to repeat what they said, you have nothing to be nervous about. Your guidance counsellor, is not going to make judgements or do anything to make you feel uncomfortable and if she advises you on anything, it will be from her professional opinion. If she does anything that judges you as a LGBT person, you have the right to report this to your principle about what had been said, which I think is highly unlikely that it will come to that, because she wouldn't be doing her job properly, yes it is a big deal to come out and yes it gives you an extra day to think about it. But would you rather get it over and done with? If she points you in the right direction. She might suggest you joining an LGBT youth group or a Gay, Straight Alliance?... You say she knows you, which is a plus, so she will advise things that will hopefully help you to be with likeminded people who can understand what you are going through.

#6 musicman1982, Mar 4, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  7. choirsmash

I would rather get it over and done with but they keep closing the school. I'm 105% pissed that they closed yesterday (we definitely could have gone in) and today it was inevitable. I just hope it works out tomorrow and I don't have to completely reschedule.