1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To tell, or not to tell...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by tired_of_lying411, May 21, 2007.

1. tired_of_lying411

[BACKGROUND]
    My parents and brother know, along with one really close friend and a couple other not close friends. They all took it very well. *thumbsup*
    [/BACKGROUND]

So at the beginning of this school year, I majorly renovated my social life. I went from having one best friend who was with 24/7, to having a larger group of friends who I'm not quite as close to.

Just before this, I told the best friend that I was gay, and she accepted it as I expected. We are on good terms again now, but rarely talk and never hang out.

The close friend that knows is in a different grade from me, and I fully trust her. Our parents are friends, so we see each other out of school a lot.

So now I have one last coming out to do. The whole school. Basically, thats my only option. These girls, while I consider my friends, I don't trust to keep it a complete secret. I could tell just one of them, the one who I'm a little closer to, but theres times when I don't fully trust her. :icon_sad: One of the girls said that she's "not afraid of gay people, but that she just doesn't like them." :icon_roll

I guess my dilemma is that I long to come out, but fear that it will go badly.

Should I just take the chance?

2. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    My husband says "don't tel-a-gram, tel-a-woman". Sad to say, but alot of us aren't so good at keeping secrets. lol If you are ready to be completely open, tell them but I wouldn't expect them to keep it a secret. My sons' cousin (a female) outed him to his grandparents and most of that side of the family after he'd asked her to keep it a secret. It all turned out fine and she is forgiven.

3. Alywishous

Yeah. That's kinda my situation too. But I'm going to college in August so I'm kinda just gonna piddle around. Yeah I know coward's way out.

4. tired_of_lying411

Well I'm finishing my grade ten year right now, and I'm definitely telling the whole school by the end of grade twelve... so, any time now, really.

I could come back to school for grade 11 as gay?

If I knew it wouldn't cause me much stress, I'd tell everyone now.

5. ampthejazz

Actually, it might be a good thing to do over the summer. That way there isn't any big crazy drama at school, and it's not like one day you go into school and everyone sees you differently. If people find out that you're gay over the summer, then by the time school comes around again, they'll be at least somewhat used to the fact. It worked pretty well for me.

6. tired_of_lying411

Thank you. This is what I needed to hear.

So here it is, my new plan of action. l plan on telling my friends just after school is out, they can spread it all around over the summer. The longer they have to marinade with it and forget it, the better. Hopefully I'll get to talk about it to the people I care most about. The others will hopefully loose interest over the summer. :icon_wink
    Keeping very loose deadlines and expectations, but I have to do it. It's time.

Thanks everyone. This finally, for some reason, feels doable now! :eusa_danc

7. NOTSURE

MATE i have been married for ten years (HAPPILY ithought ) she had a 2 yr affaiar on me , life doesnt always go the way we plan . if i could turn back the clock ( and im only 34 ) i would have done so many things differently , live your life mate !!! you no what i mean ay !!if not get back yo me

8. ampthejazz

Yeah, that's basically what I did, except I allowed it to be "public" at the end of the summer. Either way, it works. Just make sure that you the people that you're really close to in person. For me, that was about six people, plus my parents. Then again, I have some really good friends who I didn't tell face to face. And I don't think it was for any particular reason, I think it was just because I didn't really get a chance to tell them before I was really eager to make it "public."

Best of luck to you. I'm sure everything will be fine.