1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I tell my friends and family?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by CaffeineAddict, Mar 9, 2015.

1. CaffeineAddict

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My whole life I feel like I have been hiding my true self from my friends and family. Until recently, I have never truly accepted who I am. It has always been something that seemed silly, so I pushed it down and never thought anything of it. I have been telling myself my whole life that I am straight, but I'm not. I want to tell my friends, but how? Where do I even start? My friend that I want to tell first I am cloe to, and I know she would be accepting of it, but how do I start that conversation?

Also, I'm having difficulty trying to find a way to tell my family. My parents just went through a divorce, and I honestly do not know how either of them will take it. I feel that my dad is going to be a lot less accepting of it, and say that this is just me being confused or that it is some kind of coping mechanism for their divorce. I think my mom will be accepting, but is going to have a lot of questions. How do I handle this situation?

2. wolfy1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    im dealing with the same issue, and idk if there is a definitive answer. i think its different for every person you tell. personally, i like the personal face to face talk, but if someone is going to be really hard to talk face to face about it then maybe a letter is a good option, i know ive thought about and have defiantly written a few for my dad because i know he will be the hardiest to tell. how ever you want to do it is all up to you and what feels most comfortable. this is not easy, so just do it at your own pace, and i hope everything goes well! (*hug*)