1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out as BiSexual Advice

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Foxfeather, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Foxfeather

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    So I've come out to one of my close buddies, but now i"d like to tell my cousin. He's like a brother to me and I feel like he should know but I don't know how well he's going to take it.

How did you come out to close family and how'd they take it?? I'm thinking of writing a letter (because I"d be too weirded by talking on the phone in public or in my current apartment out loud to my Cuz---We have like paperthin walls in this place) and confessing that I am bisexual because I don't know how a phone conversation will work and I can't see him face-to-face for at least a few months.

I'd love to do it face-to-face but we're too distant from each other right now.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I know my Coz will love me no matter what, but it's terrifying but I know that he's gonna be scared for me for being bi. I know he'll be afraid that I'll be stigmatized or hurt or disrespected... or that my Dad'll get pissed and disown me or something (he's REALLY REALLY traditional). So I don't know what to do there...

2. Astral

Congratulations on coming out to your friend, I hope it went well!

Coming out to my close family was one of the most difficult things I've had to do, and it brought me to tears more than one time. Yet after it was said and done, my family supported me 100%, and I felt silly for thinking something like this could tear any of us apart. Blood is blood, and no matter what I'm sure your cousin will continue to support you.

It's always best to do things so important in person, but if you can't find time / the strength to do it, a letter would be okay. It's understandable that that kind of confrontation can be uncomfortable, but if you do it, it'll only make your bond stronger!

Hope it all works out. Be strong, and remember that being you is the way to happiness! :slight_smile:

3. Wolf of The Baltic

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Dearest Madame

To answer your question, you can find out by talking to him about LGBTQ related topics or if that's to awkward make up a friend who came out to you and tell him about them and see how they react, that's how I found out my uncle was cool with me being gay. My family was very loving, but as much I as I can tell you about mine it really doesn't afftect you family because no two families are the same. The letter approach in my opinion is as equal has having a face to face talk. You mention how it's terrifiying, and it totally is, but as President Franklin D. Roosevelt said "the only thing we have to fear is fear itself." Ask any question I may help you with and I shall do anything in my power to answer them.

Best of luck
    -The Wolf of The Baltic