1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help Coming Out as a Transguy

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by infernocrusader, Mar 12, 2015.

1. infernocrusader

Hello, everyone. I'm new here! I just turned thirteen today. :grin: Of course, the first thing I decide to do is rush to EC and create an account, as I've been struggling with this problem for a while now. This is going to be long, so sorry.

So, I've always been a guy, in my mind. Or, at least, never a girl. My mom herself had a gut feeling I was going to be a boy before I was born, but nature screwed up and stuffed me in the body of a girl. When I was smaller, I used to walk around without my shirt and even tried to pee standing occasionally. All my friends were guys. Video games were and are my life, and things like celebrities and all that never interested me at all. I dressed in boy clothes without a second thought. At least, until I hit puberty. It's like my body's way of fighting against who I am inside. During fifth grade, I'd come home crying each day because I was developing breasts. I begged her for surgery, but at the time I never knew that was a thing. My period only led to more sobbing. In middle school, everything seemed to split up between boys and girls, and I was left stuck in the middle. I hardly have any people that I can call a friend. Most of the guys no longer treat me as one of them anymore.

For about 4 months I've been struggling with my gender identity. I first labeled myself as "androgynous" but later found that there was no part of my that wanted to be a girl at all. This is where my hinting started. About a month ago, I asked my mom what schools with uniforms would do if someone was trans*. She replied, "why, do you think you're a boy?" Everything locked down inside of me, and I immediately said "no". Right now she made me apply to an all-girl camp, and despite the fact it is about astronomy, my passion, I almost cried telling her I couldn't go. I've questioned my friends whether or not I would look okay with a short, short haircut. I've pretty much only gotten "don't do it." Just recently, my school announced that they are considering giving girls the option to wear shorts to school like guys, and I've been ecstatic. However, I overheard my parents talking about it. They say that it's for trans* people, and dad thankfully said "I'm fine with that." *sigh of relief* However, my mom said "I don't think they know at this age." Now I'm frightened to come out to them. My parents treat me like their 'little girl' that they clearly love, but I don't know if they love their son as much. I need to, though, as I desperately want to begin lupron to hopefully stop anymore breast development. As for my friends, I don't really give a flip anymore. I'm planning on having a fresh start in high school, being able to be seen as Caden the boy. But I first have to come out to my parents, and I'm scared to death. Sorry if this is too long, I just have a lot inside of me right now.

2. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey. Sounds like your parents gave pretty good responses.

I understand that it's scary, and it's fine to be scared. But, I would come out to the parent who you are most comfortable with first, even if it isn't your father. Whoever you choose can help you come out to the other one.

My parents, personally, were once anti-LGBT. But I came out to them, and now they are letting me transition at the start of senior year. They even started considering the fact that I may have a boyfriend or a girlfriend, which seems like a small step, but is pretty awesome.

Your parents don't seem to be as anti-LGBT (or at least not transphobic) so it might go well for you too. Just thought I'd share, in case it may reassure you that things can go very well, even if it seems as if it may not.

Your mother does seem like she may doubt it, but if you have a talk with her, I am sure she will understand.

Remember to be confident in yourself. If you hesitate, they may think you aren't sure.

Good luck, man. Keep us posted, if you decide to come out!