1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out About My Atheism To My Significant Other

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MonsterAnarchy, Mar 13, 2015.

1. MonsterAnarchy

(ik this has nothing to do with sexuality, but i need help)
    For about a month now, i've came to the conclusion that science makes a whole lot more sense than religion. So i became an atheist.
    My significant other is Christian, and he still thinks im theist. (not atheist). i was thinking of coming out to him through phone (we have a long distance relationship. lets just say he "moved"). so we were just having a casual convo when he said "i love you" and i said "would you still love me if i were atheist?"
    there was a pause, then he said "that would be a problem." and at that moment, my best friend called me and i told my significant other that he was calling me then i answered the call. i told my best friend what happened and he advised me to not tell him because statstics show that people of different religion are 40% less likely to work out well. so i followed his advice, and thankfully, my significant other forgot that i said that, so he still doesnt know.
    what should i do? how should i come out to him? or should i just follow my friend's advice? i dont think that i can keep him oblivious for the rest of our lives :/

2. pinkpanther

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Why should that matter to you or to him? I know a lot of people who are living with someone who isn't religious or from a different religion. At the end it's about communication and respect. If you figure that out, there won't be any problems between you two. I promise. :slight_smile: Also holidays are fun, whether you're in for the religion or the food.

If he's conservatively religious, you might want to back down a little bit and instead of saying you're an atheist, you could use different phrasing such as "not religious" or "agnostic". If you say that you're an atheist that might require some explaining and he could perceive that as a threat to his religion. It still depends on how religious he is.

3. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it is good to just be honest with him about your change in beliefs. It wouldn't be fair to him cause I know for many believers sharing in a faith in christ is the most important part of their relationship and leading him on will cause more hurt in the future.

4. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's up to you. I can't hide something from a person i want to spend the rest of my life, or a considerate amount of my life.

Try talking to him. He is free to believe in the spaghetti monster if he wants to (be more delicate, of course), but you are free to be an atheist. And that doesn't mean you two can't stay together, you just need to respect each other.

It works the same way as sexuality, from my point of view. If you are with someone that can't love you just because of one small part of your personality, is that a person you want to spend the rest of your life with, lying about something?

You two should talk about it, calmly, with respect. Communication is the key.

5. CuriousLiaison

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If your world views are important to you, it might be difficult for a relationship to work for very long. They may lead you to have different values, and each to see the other as unfortunately misguided. That doesn't mean there's no point in seeing if you can make things work.

One thing I wouldn't do is try to convert him. Arguing against people is unlikely to change minds and would take a heavy toll on the relationship.

6. wolfy1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    im also an atheist, for the most part. religion just has never made since to me. i more of a history and science guy, those things just make more since to me than a higher power. theres nothing wrong f someone believes in a religion or not. i understand that you dont want to loose your boyfriend over it, and thats understandable! if i were you i would just let him know, but dont make it a big deal. if he loves you then it should not be a big issue. just dont push it on him or anything, and im sure you wont. most people around me know i dont really believe in it all, and we just joke about it and move on, i dont push it on them, and they dont push their religious believes on me. i support their religious believes when i can, and ive never had an issue. just be honest about it, and dont argue over it and i think you will be fine!

i dont really know if this is helping you or not, but its just my 2 cents. good luck!

7. MonsterAnarchy

thank you guys so much c: <3

8. Juli

Come out to him, and if he can't deal with it, then it's his issue and not yours. I mean seriously, if religion is something that important to him, then it just won't work. Some people who re moderate on both sides can work, but with somebody like myself (an antitheist), being with somebody with beliefs differing THAT much wouldn't do well. If he's not moderate enough, though you seem to be, then it's his loss. You shouldn't feel obligated to hide who you are.