1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I come out as trans to my parents?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by CallMeJasper, Mar 15, 2015.

1. CallMeJasper

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've always sort of rejected anything that would make me seem female and in the past few years, I've gone from rejecting those outside forces to rejecting my biological sex altogether. I know I am much happier when I'm acting like a guy, being called a guy, or when people call me by the name I chose for myself, but I'm afraid to actually tell my parents how I feel. My friends I can deal with and I can figure out my school later, but this is urgent.

Now, this is where I sound stupid. I've come out as bisexual to them and even told them that I was (before fully accepting that I feel like a man) genderfluid. However, they never really acted on that and neither of my parents refer to me as a man despite telling them I would identify as that. I've never felt able to talk to my parents so I feel really terrified, especially since I really want to start hormone therapy and at some point (not for a while) get the surgeries. And, yes, I've done some research and I'm still doing more.

My biggest fear is that they won't even try to call me by my preferred gender. I'd understand if they slip up and forget sometimes but I'm genuinely afraid that they'll not even try and they'll tell me I'm just exaggerating or this is just a phase. I know it's not and I've felt this way for a while, and I've even told my girlfriend about it but my parents are different because if I lose my parents, I will never be able to get over that.

2. Noodle72

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maybe try to subtly (or not so subtly) find out if your parents are accepting of transgender people, and then if they are, you don't necessarily have to label it. Just tell them that you don't feel like a girl, and that you feel like a guy, and if they accept transgenders then they will probably help. If they aren't that accepting of transgenders, I'm not sure what to suggest, but I hope this helps!
    I hope you have a nice day :slight_smile: