1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out through the internet!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by The Falcon, Mar 15, 2015.

1. The Falcon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Not to tell you my whole life story, but after going through series of self-revelations I just felt right to come out...

So considering that I am currently studying abroad, I came out to my best friend via Skype conversation, I insisted on camera and audio of course. After seeing the benefits of the coming out I was on a roll. and I came out to one older (but important person to me) via e-mail, because she only uses e-mails.

And couple of days ago, I came out to one very close friend via Skype as well, but he didn't have a camera, and I couldn't force him to buy one... And I never saw his emotions and reactions, only heard them...

Will I regret this to the rest of my life? Am I coward not coming out in person?

This was the right moment for me to come out, and they are the right people to come out to. That's what matters to me... It wouldn't have matter if I came out to my new friends, who are great but I only know them for 5 months... Nor was I able to come out in person years ago...

2. CrazyAwkward

You're not a coward. Coming out takes courage, whether it's done in person or not. I've come out in person and through the internet and text message. All that matters is you felt ready to tell people, and you did it.

With that said, congratulations on coming out! Try not to worry about how it was done, and just be glad that you were able to be more open with some of the people in your life :slight_smile:

3. Ninagrrl

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I got one up on you. I came out to most over facebook. I worried about what others would think but the bottom line was that it was my coming out story which means that whichever way felt right for me was the right thing to do no matter what. I will say that not having that reaction from someone and not knowing what any reaction would be was the toughest part of it for me too. I loved the support I did get from people but I found it harder to deal with those who I know read my post and chose not to comment. The silence was huge and painful for a few.

4. Erzulie

It sounds like you tried to be as "in-person" as you could get. If you felt like this was the right time, the distance shouldn't matter so much. Right now it might seem like it matters a lot how/where you come out, but I'm sure when you get back you'll have loads to talk about with the people you have come out to, and after that the only thing that will matter is that you did it. But for now, using the wonderful means of communication that modern technology has given us is the best way for you to do it on your own time, You should continue using the internet to stay in touch with those people until you get back from studying abroad.

5. BananaB

Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm in the same situation, studying abroad, and so out of the 12 people I've came out to, 10 have been via Facebook message. I don't regret it at all because I'm terrible at talking about my emotions. I can be much more articulate about my feelings if I can write them. So for me, it was the most beneficial. I couldn't bare the week long wait to send a letter either so it was via the internet or nothing.

6. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're definitely not a coward. I came out (about my sexuality) to my three closets friends via Facebook, and I don't regret it at all. For me, coming out was a terrifying experience, and I don't know if I would have been able to do it in person. That doesn't make me a coward. It just makes me someone who's not super comfortable talking to people when there's a chance of being rejected. Facebook was less pressure and gave me time to properly articulate what I wanted to say.