1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When should I come out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Noodle72, Mar 15, 2015.

1. Noodle72

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm preparing to come out, but I don't know if I should do it this week or next week, and on what day.
    I know who I'm coming out to, she's a close friend of mine, and I know she accepts LGBT+ people. I know how I'm coming out, I'm sending her an email.
    I just don't know when to come out.
    I'm going over to her house some time this week or next week, probably next weekend, and I don't know if I should come out to her before or after that. Because also, other people will be there, and if I come out before, I might feel obligated to come out to those other people too.
    But first it's just gonna be me and her, then later other people will be there. But I don't know how much time we will have alone.
    So if I come out before then, I could talk to her in person at her house, and also explain that I don't want to come out to the other people.
    But if I come out after, it would make things less awkward at her house.
    I'm also thinking that if I put it off too long, I might not even come out when I want to.
    So what do you guys think? When should I come out?
    Thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for advice :slight_smile:

2. MrSkittles

Come out whenever you feel like is the right time. You don't have to come out right away. Good Luck! :slight_smile:

3. Noodle72

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well I'm pretty much ready to come out, but I don't know if I should do it before I go to my friends house, or after.

4. woahthatsboring

Maybe after so you can talk to her privately without feeling rushed. Good luck :slight_smile:

5. CrazyAwkward

The decision is really up to you, but it sounds like it would be less stressful if you waited until after you went to her house. There wouldn't be any pressure to talk about it when other people will be coming around if you do it that way. And maybe you can plan to meet up one on one afterwards so you can talk about things and not have to worry about other people interrupting. Whatever you decide to do, good luck!

6. guitar

I wouldn't rush into coming out. I love that you have a plan and have an idea of what you want to say.

For me, I would wait for a nice moment when it's just the two of you and you feel safe and connected with her. Email can be a way of coming out, but I've always found in-person to be the best way. It lets the two of you share a moment and makes you available if she has questions.

Don't think that you have to do it in person though. Find whichever method you think will give you the best results and allows you best express yourself.

7. Noodle72

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the advice, I think I'm going to send the email a few days after I go to her house. I'll talk to her some other time.
    Thanks so much for responding! Have a nice day! :slight_smile:

8. guitar

You're welcome. Hugs and best of luck! Whatever happens, we're here for support so don't hesitate to draw on our strength if you need it :slight_smile: