1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I just go with it?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by CyberStar, Mar 16, 2015.

1. CyberStar

I'm feeling a lot more confident with my identity, and I want to come out. However, there are some (like my family) who want me to stay in the closet. My question is, should I just adopt a to-hell-with-it approach, and just go "yeah, I'm trans*"? My school is somewhat more accepting than most places, but there is a bunch who think it's weird. Also, there's the fact that my parents would probably go ballistic if they found out. Plus, these people have known me for two years as a guy. I'm not exactly sure what to do...

2. Juli

I think it really depends on what YOU want. Do you want to risk the harassent? Is that lesser in the face of self-libertion? Would it be better for people to know, because it's an iportant thing to your identity? How severely would your family react? If you think they'd kick you out, I'd suggest keeping it under wraps a while longer. In the end, the choice is yours, but the circumstances aren't... Weigh your options and do what will be best for you in the longrun. I hope it works out, 'cause I know it can be reallllly difficult.

3. BananaB

Out Status:
    A few people
    You could start off with telling a few close friends? See how that goes?

4. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you think there's a chance your parents could seriously reject you, don't come out until you're not in any way dependent on them.

You could definitely start by coming out to a few friends. You could likely come out at school and still keep it a secret at home, if that was something you wanted to do.

If you think your parents will accept you at least enough not to kick you out or something drastic like that, you could come out to them if you're up for dealing with their reactions, but that might not be worth it.