1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T-minus 2 hours

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Outlier, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Outlier

I'm leaving soon to have lunch with my brother and will be telling him I'm trans. This will be the first of my blood-family who knows. I'm trying not to over think it or get worked up, but depending on how he takes it I may also be coming out to the rest of my immediate family on Sunday (he'll be there so I'll have some support IF he is supportive. If not, I'll do it another way.)

2. JooBooGoo

Well good luck, I hope the best for you! :goodluck:

3. paris

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Good luck!

4. Hizaki

I might be too late, but GOOOOD LUCK!!

5. Outlier

Thank you, everyone.

It went okay. I definitely could have been worse. He didn't say much at all, but I did get the "I don't support the decision, but I love you" line. I told him it wasn't a choice, he said it was, so I explained the only choice is to hide and be miserable, or to be myself. He didn't say anything more about it, and I didn't know what else to say, so we left it at that.

6. Hizaki

So do you think he'd be on your side if the rest of your family isn't? I hope he comes around a bit further... Is there anything you can show him to help convince him about the choice aspect? Just keep warming him up to the idea. After you told him, was the lunch pretty much dead? Or did it continue, generally as normal?

7. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Good sign, a very good sign indeed. My father's reaction by the way...

He might need time to process it, but he seems supportive... You know, he was probably confused about the situation, that's why he kept silent. It's not easy... And to talk about feelings... It's just not everybody's cup of tea.

You were very brave, Congrats!(*hug*)

8. Outlier

No, I think he'll be on their side. I'm not afraid they'll disown me or anything, but I'm 95% positive they all think exactly like that, if not even more strongly.
    There are a few videos and articles I may share and hope for something. I'm not sure how much good it'll do, but it can't hurt.
    The lunch just got a little awkward, but bearable.

---------- Post added 17th Mar 2015 at 10:18 PM ----------

I hope so. I guess time will tell. Neither of us are talkers, and I don't really do feelings, so that's probably not helpful.

Thank you. I just hope I can be brave again and just get my parents over with.... for better or worse.

9. Wildside

Wildside Guest

Congratulations on having the courage to tell him, and on actually going through with it. It would have been nice if your brother was more supportive, but his reaction was better than many have experienced. Just be patient with him, and he can become a supportive ally with time.