1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think I messed up...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by thespanishheart, Nov 12, 2008.

1. thespanishheart

Hi guys and ladies

I think I really messed up today :tears:

I go to college with the guy I have a major crush on. We got out of our first class early, so we went outside and sat on a bench to talk. We weren't sitting like close or anything --- just normal I guess. He started talking about relationships... He told me he never had a girlfriend before, which I responded to with the same thing. I've never been in a relationship either. So then he asks what my views are on the whole thing --- basically why I haven't...

Oh my god... I wanted to come out SO BAD because I'm totally closeted. I got distratced though --- there were other students walking close to us, and I don't want to come out to the world --- I'm not ready for that! I felt my tongue in my throat and just basically made a trainwreck out of it. I hesitated and studdered through what is about the same as this... "Well, I-I-uh... I'm just really busy with work and stuff---" basically I said the worst thing possible I figure. Then he said "Yeah, I'm pretty busy with work too. I want one eventually though." :tears::tears::tears:

So now I messed up what was supposed to be me coming out, and now I have my first concrete signal that he's straight. I'm so angry with myself right now for not telling him the truth in the first place! I should have just said to hell with those random people passing by. I just couldn't do it...

I have to come clean with him... What should I do? Should I wait until we're both more distant from others to come out? I'm so lost! :tears:

2. trikuriboh

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well about that u should come out when u think its time not under a stressful situation like that. U'll come out at ur own time and when u know u r ready. Besides those people passing by r just passing by and well rn't going to go chase u like u r the monster of the village if they hear u r gay. They might not even hear u say that at all.

3. Weazel

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

right they are just passing by they are probably just conversing among them selves not paying atention to anything else

and i think if i were you i would be more confident in telling your freind there.
    Also your at College (i think i herd some were) and there the most acsepting social group

but its up to you
    i say go for it and tell him :thumbsup:

4. He could just be saying that. Although by the way you said it it seemed like he wouldn't have given a "concrete signal" that he was straight if you had come out. If he really is straight, then you coming out wouldn't have changed anything.

5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>So now I messed up what was supposed to be me coming out, and now I have my first concrete signal that he's straight.

Which is? That he said he's "pretty busy with work"? Come one, use your head, sir. That's the same excuse YOU used, and YOU're not straight. :slight_smile:

He sounds like a nice guy. Why don't you ask if you can talk to him, then lead him away from the pack a bit. Tell him, "I wasn't sure how to tell you yesterday. The real reason I haven't had a relationship is that I'm actually into guys, but I don't think I'm ready to let other people know that yet. I think I can trust you with that info, though."

Lex

6. Loveless

Loveless Guest

You can still tell him!

7. thespanishheart

Thanks for replying :slight_smile:

No, my signal was that he wants a girlfriend one day. I guess it's no better than "I'm busy with work", but I literally haven't gotten any signals out of him since I've known him (3 months). I nver got a feeling he was gay, but not one he was straight either. Him saying he wants a girlfriend someday was the most powerful I've gotten out of him so far.

I guess it's not better than what I said --- he COULD be making it up. That just means he's a slightly better actor than I am. I just feel so stupid for messing that up today.

Does my new little plan sounds like it might work? Just tell him when we're more distant from people? I could bring it up with, "hey, remember the other day when we were talking..." and just let it go from there and when it comes out, it comes out? I feel guilty for not telling him the truth, but I freaked out. I didn't expect him to bring that up right then and there.

Thanks again (*hug*)

8. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's not a bad plan, except that it's too easy to avoid. It's too easy to think "Well, somebody might stop by" or "I'll wait until we have more time" or "I'll wait until he looks like he's in a better mood". If you make a point of actually doing it at a specific point, you're less likely to back out.

Is his "I want one eventually" a sign? Not much of one. His entire topic choice rather hints in the other direction, if you ask me. :slight_smile:

Lex

9. thespanishheart

You certainly know how to make a person feel better (*hug*)

I think I can stick to it --- I've been seriously considering it for the first time... I've never seriously thought of coming out to anyone before. I'm at the stage where I'm anxious to just let it out.

You're right though. Structure is what's going to make me do it. I'll think on it tonight and find the situation I'll need to replicate to make this work.

Thanks for your support - everyone (*hug*)

If anyone has further contributions they'd like to share, please, by all means do so! I really do appreciate the support though!

Lex, what makes you think his signals go the other way? I can see how it's a somewhat indirect answer, but I'm curious what it is in your eyes that says that.

Thanks! (&&&)

10. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>Lex, what makes you think his signals go the other way? I can see how it's a somewhat indirect answer, but I'm curious what it is in your eyes that says that.

You guys got out of class, and you sat down on a bench to sort of BS. (We used to say "shoot the shit" - do they still say that?) He started talking about relationships. This doesn't appear to have been your doing. If anything, I'd guess you're more likely to talk about anything else. So he specifically nudged the conversation that way. There's point number one.

Here's point number two. He's never actually been in a relationship. But he chose that topic anyway. Why? No doubt because, in part, he wants to be in one. It's no doubt on his mind. But I don't know if that's the only reason. And remember - he specifically did this with you. He asked you specifically about your (non)experience with relationships. Why?

Mind you, this COULD all just be idle chit-chat. But honestly? I think he was fishing. :slight_smile:

Lex

11. thespanishheart

I'm going to see if I can talk to him tomorrow. I haven't gotten my mind off of it since.

12. Kryz

I'm with Lex on this one.

For me it was an indirect question to: Do you like guys or girls? AND are you with someone?

Since anything that you say on the ~ralationships~ subject would give him this information, anything but "Well, I-I-uh... I'm just really busy with work and stuff---" lol. Which is, if you ask me, a classical closeted gay excuse...

Think about it it wouldn't give him any other info as clearly as that.

13. xequar

What he said ^^

14. thespanishheart

I was really upset earlier, becuase I was going to come out to him today. I messaged him early in the morning, and asked that he text me if he got out of class early. Once I was at school I realized that "omg, I forgot my work clothes" as I go right to work from school. So I drove home between classes to pick them up. I was about 20 mins away from the school (on ym way to it) when he called. He didn't have lunch yet due to class, and so he went home. I didn't really ask him to wait --- I figured it might be best when we're both fresh and such. I really wanted to do this today, but it looks like it'll have to wait until next week :frowning2:

Thanks guys (*hug*) I'm hoping I'll hear what I want later.

15. thespanishheart

Tomorrow's the big day (Nov. 17)... If I can get him in the right place tomorrow (somewhere away from a lot of people) then I'm going to come out.

Thanks for your support guys (*hug*)

16. n8i2c7k

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Sounds like everythings going well. Cross your fingers, toes, eyes, anything else that can be crossed and hope fot the best. Good luck (*hug*)

17. JT

JT

I'm excited to hear the outcome :grin:
    Good luck!

18. Kryz

OMG OMG report back!!!

19. thespanishheart

Ok, looks like tomorrow's the big day... I didn't get a chance at all. I can't really expain --- we were just never in a place where we were alone. I know tomorrow will work out better as far as the schedule though. I'll keep you all posted.

Thanks! (*hug*)

20. You are killing me. I'm dying. The suspense!

Okay, good luck!