1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Very Strange Way to Be Outed

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Kalub Alec Ross, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Kalub Alec Ross

Hello!

So I'm going to university this fall, and I went to an accepted students day where we could sign up for a mock class kind of thing. I chose one from the humanities department, which is apparently really open and trans friendly (even more so than the whole school itself, which is the most liberal I've ever seen).

We were in a circle and we had to do introductions. Name. Pronouns. How we were feeling.

This would be so so so great. But. I don't want people to know. I mean, I do. I want to go around yelling about how I'm non-binary. But they asked "preferred pronouns" - my preferred pronouns are it/its, so I had to say it/its, because to answer she/her as my preferred pronouns would be... I just personally couldn't physically do it. But I don't want to tell everyone that my preferred pronouns are it/its because I don't want them to call me that. I want them to call me what they're comfortable with, which is she/her in every situation I've ever encountered. "It" makes people uncomfortable - and even if it does't make the person saying it uncomfortable, I don't want anyone around us overhearing to feel uncomfortable. This is my personal preference and I am sure that that is what I want. I have my family and friends call me "it" internally, and I'm good with that.

I know that this is going to come up again when I get to university. How do I respond? I don't want to have to explain that entire thing, but I do want to make sure that people know I'm non-binary so that they don't use gendered nouns like girl or lady or ma'am, so saying "call me she" wouldn't be sufficient.

Help??

Thank you :slight_smile: