1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out as Trans?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Nate can draw, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Nate can draw

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My parents are divorced, and lucky me has to live with my transphobic and homophobic dad and grandma instead of my completely accepting mother. That being said, I need help coming out to my family as trans, because I don't think I can keep it in much longer. (Keep in mind that even though my grandma is transphobic, she is a lot less so than my dad.) Do y'all have any tips on coming out?

2. bigcityboy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I admit, coming out as gay or lesbian is easier in America today than coming out as trans, but I'll still try to offer the best advice I can. I think that you should come out to your mother first if you haven't already. She seems like the best support system you could have right now, apart from close accepting friends. Do you have any siblings? If they are mature enough to be able to understand what being trans is, and they are accepting people, then you should also come out to them. Basically work your way up to your grandma and then your dad so that if they react negatively, you'll have supportive and accepting people that you can fall back on for help and options (especially your mother). I hope this helped. Good luck!

3. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Don't do it until you are sure that you can deal with the worse... Plus the consequences. They might even kick you out, so you better be sure of what you are about to do.

Prepare yourself by picturing imaginary dialogues, so you can be ready to use the best arguments.

Also read other members Coming Out stories.