1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Mom Is 'Too Accepting'

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Lunastel, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Lunastel

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    She said as long as they love me it doesn't matter, but, she has no questions, no support, no nothing. Just because she doesn't hate me for doesn't mean I don't have serious issues. Like it doesn't accrue to her I have any struggles. It's not a 'big enough' deal to her. Does that make sense? How do I talk to her?

2. ellyy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Talk to her about it and tell her about your struggles. Your mom might not think as far as to how it's affecting you (I know my mom can be the same) and it's not because she doesn't care but probably because she doesn't completely understand and has never been in your situation. She probably can't read minds either so you need to say something if you want her attention and support. Communication is important even between a parent and a child.

How do you talk to her? Just straight out tell her how you feel. That's what I would do. I would tell her everything that you wrote and how you feel like she is "too accepting".

Anyway, it's better if a parent is "too accepting" than the other way around. You're lucky.

3. Tardis2020

It's understandable to feel this way.
    First things first, be happy that she accepts you and has done nothing negative and had no negative reaction.
    Second, she probably doesn't realize that it's a big deal. If you're not LGBT it can be hard to relate.
    Do what Ellyy said above me imo.