1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What resources can I give my parents?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Queero, Mar 18, 2015.

1. Queero

So, I have not yet come out to my parents, but I am getting my thoughts together and am writing them down.

At the end, after I basically tell them "I'm not a girl, I'm a gay boy" (not quite how I word it), I want to put some resources that they could use.

I already have the EC link, but is there anything else I should give them?

Thanks to anyone who responds.

2. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There is this leaflet from the APA. There is also this pamphlet on gender variant children. There is also this site that has some good info on it.

4. kindy14

kindy14 Guest

Hey bae, here are some local resources for you...

LGBT Youth Group Organization | Indiana Youth Group

Information for Parents of LGBTQ Youth | Indiana Youth Group

HOME - Indy PFLAG

Keep your safety in mind, don't become a runaway statistic. I've been dealing with some of them here in Indianapolis. Their lives are stuck in a dark place. Make sure you have a safe place to run to, a friend, relative, pastor, teacher, neighbor. Should they not be accepting (given we are in good old conservative Indiana.)

Take your time, be careful, and read about others experiences on here.

5. Queero

I have been considering coming out at church (UU) before I tell my parents, for one support, and I have already come out to some friends, who will help me. If I can wait until I can drive, not long now, then I will be able to remove myself from the situation if I have to. I planned a possible escape as soon as I decided that someday I would have to tell them.

I do not think they will throw me out, but, you understand, I may wish to leave, for a little while. I do have a plan. I have a friend's house I can always go to.

My mother is a Unitarian, but she does not understand people being trans, not that I've ever talked about it much with her. And my father, well, he's not. And while I fully believe they will both come around, I don't know how long it will take, especially for him.

Thank you for your help, and looking out for me. :slight_smile: