1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I stop seeing my therapist?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by bigmoney521, Nov 12, 2008.

1. bigmoney521

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So here's the deal, I decided I needed to see a therapist to deal with all of my issues. I've spoken to him about my issues with my father, my friends, my anxiety and all the things that have been bugging me except for one huge thing, my being gay. I dont think the gay thing is such a big deal. Its something that I've known and accepted my entire life, its just the people around me who I'm worried about. After seeing this therapist for almost three months I've come to realize that I am the only one who can control these things that have been screwing up my life. So should I stop or should I continue cause I don't think I can tell him that I'm gay? I'm sorry but I'm just not that open of a person.

2. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Keep seeing him and maybe tell him you're gay. Even if it is you who is sorting out your problems it's quite good to have someone to talk to about it in a neutral, calm environment.

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! I think you should continue seeing your therapist. I know it is hard to tell a therapist/counselor that you are gay (gone through that too) but maybe you can find a lead into it. What might help, rather than being up front about it, try to introduce it into a more 'subtle' way, and I am sure your therapist will be able to pick it from there. Why are you worried about the people around you? Maybe there are some things that you still need to talk about but just have not come to the surface yet.

I think it is really good that you were able to talk about a number of things and you seem to be heading on the right path. Even if you decide not to tell him, I think it would still make sense to see him just to make sure that things are staying on the right track.

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you're not going to tell your therapist you're gay, then yes - you should stop seeing him. Because then you're forcing him to work without giving him the full picture. You wouldn't withhold telling your doctor about symptoms ("I won't tell him about the chest pains or the night sweats"), and then expect him to make an accurate diagnosis. But you're basically putting your therapist into a very similar situation. He doesn't have a totally accurate picture of what you're doing and what you're facing, and his suggestions may not be as good as they could be.

If you really don't think the gay thing is such a big deal, you'd be able to tell your therapist with no hesitation.

Lex

5. Peter

I think you should continue until you feel comfortable telling him (a paid professional sworn to confidentiality) about who and what you are. Once you have spoken to him, you should feel able to speak to yourself about your feelings, then to someone who loves you.

6. Gumtree

He helped you find the problem.

He helped you find the solution.

Let him help you do it.

7. Starshine16

I have to agree with Lex on this one.You are not likely to get a lot out of seeing your therapist unless he knows about your sexuality.Opening up to a therapist can be extremely challenging,but in this case it is neccessary for the therapist to be able to help you.If you don't confide in him that you are gay,then that sends him the message that you are not comfortable with your gayness.

8. ColdSnap

I agree with the other posters, the very first thing I told my therapist was that I was questioning my orientation even though i hadn't told anyone else, you may not consciously realise it is affecting you, but if you're hesitant to tell them then surely it must be in some way.

and after you get it off your chest they do the rest of the work for you :slight_smile:
    hope everything works out x

9. Mitchell

It's not like you're bound to that one therapist.

I got in an argument with my therapist about being gay, she was so unaccepting of it. I decided to just get a new one. It was hard to do, but I did it and this was not too long ago, either.

See how it goes.

For me, when looking in a therapist, I looked at the type of therapy they do. I found a nice therapist that does cognitive behavioral therapy. I still haven't figured out what's going on with it, but it's just a nice change.