1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I am a Mtf transgender and need advice coming out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by lonewolfblair, Mar 20, 2015.

1. lonewolfblair

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    So i have told four close friends one of which is also transgender, but i am afraid that if i become too open about it at school i will be ridiculed and bullied because of who i am, now my school is usually pretty good at snuffing out bullying but as far as i can tell there is no recognition what so ever of the the trans* community, so yeah if there is any advice you can give on my school situation that would help.

While i am here i might as well ask advice about coming out to my family, my parents don't seem to have any problems with most things but i have a feeling that they might not take me seriously, as for my siblings i am the eldest of three, my brother will probably attempt to tease me about it and won't take me seriously either, and finally my sister she is only 6 and wouldn't understand and would be the least of my worries, so yeah it would be great if i could get some advice on these two environments.

2. PossumJack

For school, if you're worried about bullying I strongly suggest talking to your guidance counselor first. They're there to help and should be able to provide ways to support you during your social transition. It would also give you a good sense of how the school administration would react since unfortunately not all school districts are supportive of transgender students.

As to family, maybe you can bring up some LGBT topics to discuss with them first? Like, mention some news about transgender rights or something and see how they react first?

3. MurderMystery

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    High school. There is and always will be those people who won't understand and choose to be rude but there are also plenty of people who will and would want to support you, those people cancel out the others because it's not about them it's about... You! It's about being comfortable, being who you are and not letting anything being you down because it's just one aspect. You're still you, just a bit more you! Just take this slow and steady. So it when you're ready.

As for home, It might come as a surprise. Yes, they might not take you seriously but that doesn't mean you can't try. Sit them down when you think both sides (you and your family) are ready and just talk. In the end they'll love you. They always have and if they don't relize IT at first, they'll come around. It's definitely different for everyone, so just keep your head up and don't look down! :slight_smile:

4. Wildside

Wildside Guest

the school definitely doesn't sound like a safe place to come out. Definitely no rush to come out there. At home, maybe just tell your parents at first, or one of them if you feel more comfortable with one more than the other. It's always easier to build up some support network when we're in the early stages of coming out.