1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homosexual Studies class

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Markio, Nov 13, 2008.

1. Markio

I recently registered for classes for next semester. Next semester starts in February, and there's a period of time in January when a student can optionally stay on campus and take one class for four days a week until the end of the month. The class I was going to take between semesters was already full, so I was delighted to find a class that satisfied part of the GE program called Gay/Lesbian studies that I could take instead.

The problem is, I'm in the closet from my family and roommate who is also staying in school in January, as well as many other friends. I didn't tell my roommate what class I was taking except that it satisfied part of the GE. I had told my mom of the other class I was going to take but haven't told her of the switch. I'm worried that if I tell them the class I'm really taking, it will arouse suspicion over my sexuality, which has happened before.

So, should I tell anyone the class I'm actually taking? Or would it be alright to jsut not tell anyone?

2. Rosina

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't know what the course will be like, but I'm guessing that if you're not comfortable with letting everyone know, I'd keep quiet and only tell people who you deem alright to tell. In any other cases, just shrug it off and say you're not bothered with the gay/lesbian bit of the course.

I wouldn't feel pressured into telling them anything.

3. slkayley

This depends on you're own imposition, are you comfortable with who you are?

Only if you are fully comfortable with who i am, would i consider telling other people that i was studying that class. This is so, i am able to relate what i know about myself to the likely questions you will be asked.

It also depends on how you feel people will take the news of you studying that class.

Personally, it the first class i've ever heard of, to me it sounds like a brilliant subject, its a true step for LGBT Rights.

4. Level N Human

You could tell them you're just taking a sociology course or gender studies. That's not too far off.

5. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If I was in that position I'd say I was taking a sociology course as well, lol.

6. Markio

Then I will!

Today my mom called and I told her that I was taking a different class than the one I planned over "Interterm", and that I didn't remember the name of it. It sufficed quite fine. If she does ask specifically, I'll probably say it's a humanities class, which it is. I guess I'll let anyone but my family and roommate know. After all, I'm beginning to come out to other college students as I meet them for the first time.

I'm pretty excited for the class. Maybe I'll meet other fellow gays and lesbians--or some straight allies! I also want to learn more about myself and my sexual orientation, so this class should be a good foundation for someone in the process of coming out. Especially if people ask lots of questions when I come out...

Thanks for the advice, Empty Closeters! :smilewave I was mainly concerned on what to tell my family, if anything, when I return to campus in January. :thumbsup:

7. Keiss

Austin, Texas / Charlotte, North Carolina
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That actually sounds like a cool class. I would love to take it. I hope you have fun in that class, and meet a lot of friends. It can also be a great tool for coming out, and meeting the right people on campus to make you feel comfortable.

As far as your roommate is concerned, I don't know how close you two are but it might just be best to tell him. Of course, it seems like you'd have to make the decision based on what you think his thoughts of homosexuals are. I didn't have a single problem with the guys sharing the suite with me. They're fine with it. So they've said. My roommate, actually, is gay. So no issues there. Play it by ear. I've always been a firm believer in being honest and upfront so that in the end I'm not trying to cover everything up and living in a world of lies. I've done that too many times before, and it always ended up badly. If that makes any sense, haha.

For me, going to college was a renewing experience. It allowed me to make friends that were going to be my friends for who I was, and they would accept me no matter my sexuality or personality. I'm upfront with my sexuality, for the most part, I don't run around screaming to the world I'm gay, but if the subject comes up I step in.

I'm starting to get a bit off track. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Nonetheless,
    good luck. :slight_smile:

#7 Keiss, Nov 13, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
  8. Markio

The main issue with telling my roommate is that I have two of them and I only want one to know, the one staying over Interterm as I am doing. His name is "Sid"

He's from out of the country, so his understanding of homosexuality is culturally biased a bit: when I told him of gay friends at my Catholic high school, he was surprised that the school wasn't oppressive over them; he also told me he would have voted Yes on Prop 8 here in California. However, I believe he's pretty open-minded because he has a friend he thinks is gay, but is quick to point out that the friend in question is a good guy.

My other roommate, "Brad", is the problem. I do not consider him my friend, and so I do not want him to know something personal about me that he could hold over my head. He's also not very compassionate or respectful at all, as demonstrated by the following situation:

I've discussed homosexuality in the past with Sid, and it is respectful, open-minded discussion because we have differing views on the subject regarding the origins of orientation in an individual. So one day when he comes back to the room I show him an article showing evidence of homosexuality as genetic. He said he thought that was bullshit, that evidence like that is inconclusive, which it is to some extent, even though there was quite a large amount of evidence in the article that I thought was interesting. Playing it casual, I just said it was worth looking at because we've talked about the subject in the past; "I don't know why I always bring it up" I said nonchalantly, basically acknowledging that I was aware of how often I brought it up so it would seem less suspicious.
    Without missing a beat, Brad says, "That's because you're gay."
    What? I knew he wasn't serious, and that he doesn't know. Was he trying to make a joke? Or an insult? It's not funny, and Sid and I have treated homosexuality as a serious subject. But even he didn't want to look at the article at the time, and so I left for class in a sour mood, which Sid noticed later and felt sorry for. I told him that it was my own fault for bringing it up, and that I was more annoyed with Brad for being an idiot. Sid did tell me to email him the article if I wanted to, so he was making an effort to care at the time. I basically told him that I had a few gay friends in high school who had it rough, and plus with Prop 8, I think it's a serious subject.

My point is, Brad is stupid and socially inept, doesn't know how to enter a conversation, and is a pain to have around. I am not ever planning on telling him because he's pretty much no better than a stranger to me.

But, if I were to tell Sid, it would be awkward for him to live with me for the rest of the year. Also, we have such a good friendship that I'm afraid we may joke about it in conversation when Brad is in the room on his computer. In the past Sid and I have talked and Brad has butted in, usually to tell a bad joke that isn't funny or clever and is usually ten seconds too late. If I come out to Sid, I'm worried it'll upset the dynamic of the roommate triangle we have going.

I started this thread because of the issue of telling my parents the class I'm taking, but you've all shown me a decent somewhat honest alternative to telling them the exact class, and I thank y'all for that. I wasn't planning on telling my roommate until the end of the year, when we'd separate. I can see it as an option to do over January, but I don't want my other stupid roommate to judge me or think I'm weird.

9. s5m1

You may want to consider that Brad already knows you are gay and does not care. In your post, you say that you frequently bring up the topic of homosexuality. If someone did that around me, I would suspect they were gay. Homosexuality is not a common topic for straight guys. The fact that you felt the need to explain why you bring it up so much would only reinforce the belief that you are trying to hide that you are gay. As Shakespeare said, "methinks you protest too much." Brad’s comment may very well reflect that he thinks you are gay. Although you describe him as socially inept, it may be that he has actually been respectful of your sexuality by not bringing it up. You may not be as deep in the closet as you think you are.

#9 s5m1, Nov 14, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
  10. -Michael-

I bet not everyone taking the class isnt homosexual.

Just tell them, allow them to make assumptions but don't discourage or encourage them.

11. Gumtree

Brad can only use it against you in ANY way if you are closeted or not proud of it.

You're going to continue you have this problem until you come out.

I think you should tell Sid, perhaps tell him more then just that you're gay.

Enforce the fact that you don't see him in a sexual sense whatsoever etc etc.

12. Starshine16

I had the same problem in the summer when I registered for fall classes.I am in the middle of my Psychology of sexual orientation class and since I still live under my parents roof,they are paying for my books.So I waited until my mom and I were driving to the school bookstore and then I told her.She looked surprised,but then I said that I had heard that it was an incredible class and that one of my other psych professors had recommended it.Surprisingly she bought it...I am sure she was starting to question things though.

13. ColbieMarie

ColbieMarie Guest

I don't really have any advice on this subject.

I hope you let us know about some of the things you talk about during that class. It sounds interesting.