1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I know if I'm ready to come out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Alder, Mar 22, 2015.

1. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I want to come out but I'm really not sure if it's the right time/how to gauge if I'm ready or not. I'm still not 100% sure of my sexual orientation but I have a pretty good idea and I've been having thoughts about telling my friends (but not my family yet-because they're not exactly the most LGBTQIA+ friendly people). It'll certainly, I think in the long run, help me feel better and more comfortable if I just tell some of my closer friends and start the process.

What questions should I be asking myself if I'm wondering if I'm ready to come out (to some people) or not? Most of my friends I think would be okay with it, I'm just really scared that the word would spread or that they'll think badly of me of my identity somehow.

Thanks for any and all help everyone :slight_smile:

#1 Alder, Mar 22, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  2. Lyana

You're ready to come out when you want them to know. That's really the main point, in my opinion. "Do I want this person to know I like women?" If the answer is yes, you're ready.

If you're only thinking of telling close friends that you trust, the risk of word spreading is minimal (if you tell them you don't want it to be common knowledge). As for their thinking badly of you, you can't know until you tell them, but if they're your friends, you probably have an idea of their opinions on LGBT stuff.

Anyway, don't rush it, take your time, and when you're really feeling it, shoot. :slight_smile:

3. Emily1

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I second what Lyana said, you're ready to come out when you want your friends to know. You may want to prepare yourself a bit though…

One thing I wish someone had told me before I came out is to be prepared for awkward questions. Your friends may be curious and ask how you know you're into girls. They may ask if you've kissed a girl etc. So basically just make sure you're prepared to answer those questions. Good luck!

4. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks so much for all the advice! I'll keep all of that in mind. I guess I'm still a bit nervous and unsure about some things so maybe I'll take a bit more time :slight_smile: But I'm getting there so-

Thank you for the support!

5. penta

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    you are ready when you feel ready, and if you don't want to tell you just don't tell..
    Your family will probably not be noticing it until you get int a relationship with a girl.
    You can always tell them later so don't rush it, only tell when you feel ready

6. SeriousJack

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    If you're constantly picturing yourself doing it, I'd say you're ready to come out.

7. Jguy365

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When it comes down to it, you should never come out if you haven't found a complete sense of comfort with it for yourself.

In my case, I have come out to several people despite the fact that I am still deep in the self-acceptance process. That results in a feeling of regret and it leads me to wish I hadn't come out which further damages my self acceptance. You should be able to use the words "I'm gay" for yourself with ease. If it's still hard for you to admit to yourself, you probably aren't ready.

Starting with your friends is definitely the best way to begin. That will give you some practice with it and get you used to the feeling.

Best of luck to you!

8. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks again for the new replies! I do definitely have to think about it more. Although I picture myself coming out a lot I feel like there are still some things to work through and think about so I know I'm in the right position when I do.

@Jguy365 best of luck to you too! Thanks very much, and hopefully we can all get to a bit of a better place :slight_smile: