1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to parents?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by slkayley, Nov 13, 2008.

1. slkayley

Have any of you got any idea as to what the best method of coming out to parents is?

I've been ready to tell them for sometime, and i've been given plenty of oppurtunities to tell them face to face but i can't, i physically can't say the words, nothing comes out of my mouth.

Please if you could tell me, what you think worked well for you, or things you don't think go well please add it, Any advice is better than none.

2. sdc91

I left a letter on my parent's bed right before they brought me to the airport, lol.

They called me later when they found it and everything went alright.

3. Beth

eee when i left my mum a little note she went a little crazy "WHAT THE HELL IS THIS?!" buuut it was rather random, i was 14 sooo.

4. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If you want, feel free to completely steal my idea, which I posted in my own coming out thread here. It works great for people who want to plan ahead or are afraid they won't be able to get the words out verbally.

5. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Definitely write a letter if that is easier for you. Just tell your parents that you love them and feel it is important for them to know this about you. Tell them how long you have known and that you are absolutely sure. Ease their fears about your sex life and all that. We parents worry about these things. Good luck!

6. george678

I think that a letter would be best for you. And dont let them get annoyed.
    Good Luck! You might need it.
    :slight_smile:
    (*hug*)

7. Gumtree

Read back a few pages in this forum and you get heaps of ideas.

There is no real 'best way' to come out, it's different for everyone.

Everyone has different ways of communicating, some are more assertive then others etc - find what suits you.

There are some key components of 'coming out' though.

State that you have always been this way, it's not a sudden change and you're not about to change a whole lot now that you're out.

Try to explain WHY you think you are.

If you're willing, tell them how you're handeling it.

Make sure you tell them how much you would appreciate their support.

And most importantly, state that it's not about to change (if you're not secure in your orientation, then i suggest not coming out as gay/bi but just as attracted to men)

8. Sam

Sam

If you are finding it hard to say the words then maybe a letter would be a good idea. If you do write a letter just say what's in your heart and you can either give it to them face to face, lay it somewhere for them to find, or email them the letter. I came out to my parents separately with 2 different letters and it was the best option for me because I just could not manage to get the words out. Good luck!

9. george678

They will still ask you question I think.

10. slkayley

Yes, I understand that there is not really a "best way", and i have previously thought about letters and going along that route, what about other less-personable methods,

Yes questions will always come, i have no doubt, but,i just really want it out and want possibly "quick" methods that i can't take back. I just want it out i can deal with questions, i'm more than prepare for them.

11. Peter

Do it quietly and when everyone is relaxed. Whatever you do, do not do it in anger (you or them). If you are lucky enough to have meals together as a family and actually get to talk to one another (rather than eating in front of TV), that might be a good moment - or you can talk about while giving your mother a hand doing the dishes, when she is in a positive frame of mind towards you.