1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lost in the minefield of labels

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by vespa27, Mar 22, 2015.

1. vespa27

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi all,
    So I came out of the closet to myself a few months ago and have come out to a few close friends. All has gone well but I'm kinda struggling with labels at the moment. I am attracted mainly to girls but I also find the odd guy attractive. Although I wouldn't say I am 100% lesbian I don't really identify with being bisexual because it's quite rare for me to find a guy that I actually find sexually attractive and simply put I just don't feel that I am bisexual. I feel bad telling people I am gay though because what if one day I do end up with a bloke and it'll look like I've lied?! I think it makes it harder that I spent a long time convincing people that I wasn't gay, and now I feel like I have to do the opposite! Anyway, I don't actually feel the need to label myself for my own benefit, but more for the benefit of others. Anyone else experiencing this has experienced it in the past? any advice would be much appreciated!

2. LakanLunti

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I dont know if this would help, but have you heard of the Kinsey Scale? It describes the sexual behavior of a person. Here:
    [​IMG]

I also experienced having that feeling. I am mostly attracted to guys but there are rare times where I find women sexually attractive. I cant call my self bisexual since that heterosexual thing happens very rare. I am also afraid (back then when I was still confused) to call my self gay since, again, sometimes I get attracted to women. So I prefer using the Kinsey Scale as my sexual orientation since it is very accurate.

3. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You might be homoflexible (mainly interested in girls, occasionally attracted to guys). Homoflexible is kinda like a less strict form of gay.

4. PossumJack

My school's vice principal is actually a self-identified lesbian who ended up happily marrying a man, even though she still identifies as gay. I guess what I'm trying to say is that sexuality is a fluid thing that doesn't need to be labelled so strictly.

I can relate, actually. I like men 99% of the time but very occasionally finds a woman super attractive :lol: I just call myself gay for the sake of convenience but I'd say "homoflexible" would be the most accurate way to describe it. It means you're mostly attracted to the same sex but you're open to the idea that you can sometimes be attracted to the opposite sex too.