1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out through Text

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by DIANGELO, Mar 29, 2015.

1. DIANGELO

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Do you guys think its appropriate for a lgbt person to come out to their parents through text or chat?

2. blackhatguy

I think coming out in person is better. That being said, I have only done that once, maybe twice.

Coming out at all takes a profound amount of courage, especially coming out to parents. I'm still not ready for that. So I think the fact that you're willing to at all speaks highly of you, and if you don't feel comfortable doing it in person, I certainly wouldn't blame you for using text or chat.

3. headie2infinity

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I came out to my whole family via email. And for me it was the best way to do it. I don't know if I would be able to get my whole message through to them via a text message. But I also didn't want to do it in person. I would suggest if you would rather do it in a less personal manner you consider writing a letter or an email.

Here is what I said to my family via email: http://emptyclosets.com/forum/coming-out-stories/173040-came-out-family.html

Good Luck!

4. Astral

I came out to my friends in person, but when it came to my family, it was a lot harder. I tried to many times to muster the courage to tell my mother about my sexuality initially, but I just couldn't. I texted her to tell her when I was at school one day, and she just replied "All you told me is just another part of the amazing person I already knew you were. XOXO" It was a huge relief :slight_smile:

If that's what you feel most comfortable doing, then I don't see anything wrong with it! Everyone deals with things in different ways, and sometimes not being face-to-face makes it easier to really express what your heart feels.

Hope I helped!

5. headie2infinity

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I completely agree!

6. Broods

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've come out to people via text and in person. Coming out in person, especially to one of your parents takes a lot of courage, and can be quite emotional. I have found personally that sometimes it is easier to tell friends via text, especially if they live far away and you want them to know. It is also faster if you would like a bunch of people to know but don't feel up for the one on one conversations. That being said, your parents might want to follow up in person if they live close to you/with you. So make sure however you come out to them text/phone call/email/in person that you are ready to be open and have that conversation with them.

Best of luck - you can do this!! :icon_bigg

7. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If that is the way that would be comfortable enough to get you to come out to them, then that is the right way for YOU.