1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out on Facebook

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Hyliana, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Hyliana

Hyliana Guest

Has anybody tried coming out on Facebook? How's it gone if so? Do you have any suggestions? I'm currently tying to think of a good coming out Facebook post that basically says I'm Trans and I don't give a s*** about anyone els's opinions of me (hopefully without swearing).

Of corse, I've already come out to my parents, best friend and a couple others, but I'm at a point now where keeping the secret that I'm Trans from others is just causing soooo much stress because it feels like I'm two different people at times when I just want to be me.

2. Outlier

I haven't yet. I'm hoping to soon (I just need to come out to my dad first). But I just wanted to say: I know it's tempting to brace yourself for backlash by stating it like that. BUT maybe try wording it in a way that assumes their acceptance and support. If the post has negative or hostile undertones people will react more strongly to that in the same way. THEN if someone(s) starts saying something negative you can be like, "screw you, this is me. If you don't like it the door is in the same place as the un-friend button." *drops mic*

3. TreeClimber

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I came out in 2013 by posting the following:
    I want to stop living a lie.
    I want to be able to check guys out at the mall without wearing shades.
    I want to be comfortable in my own skin.
    I want to be able to let my guard down.
    I want to make out with my friend John someday.
    I want to be me, as god and Mother Nature made me.

With a picture of the nbc peacock- yes I am dating myself!

Friends were either elementary school or high school (all male mind you) Only one friend shunned me. And we had kept in touch the longest after high school- other than him- they were all supportive.

4. gozmit

gozmit Guest

Personally, I don't think it's a good idea to come out on facebook. Just tell the people you love and care about in person. If you don't give a sh*t about what anybody else thinks, why even tell them. They'll find out eventually, and if they're cool, then great. If they have a problem with it, who cares?
    Anyway, that's what I think :slight_smile:
    Good luck!!

5. Wildside

Wildside Guest

I did see an app that goes out to all of your Facebook friends as well as your timeline and posts a message that you're gay and out. I was tempted to use it, but decided that I prefer the more personal approach. But I think for some people, the broadcast might be the way to go. It will certainly generate a lot of responses, and start a lot of conversations. I think that the supportive people will be more likely to actually say something, which can be a bit of an ego boost, though I would be more likely to dwell on why I didn't hear from the other people, which would be a big downer. anyway, just my opinion, not a matter of established fact! good luck with whatever you decide is right for you.

6. Outlier

I agree and disagree. I think I assumed they were out to the people closest to them and FB is the last step... kind of a going public. I agree that coming out on FB to the people close to you is not the best way, BUT if that is done then an announcement on FB makes sense to me. But it also depends on what kind of people you have there. If they are all distant and not really even a part of you life, then yeah, it doesn't really matter. But if they are people you care about and talk to, but who you aren't super close to, then coming out all at once makes sense to me. It would take forever to come out to all those people one at a time, and really not necessary.

7. Chosen One

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's common courtesy to let your closest friends and family know in person but for me personally when it comes to social media, including facebook, it's best just to change your relationship status and let everything run its course.

8. Hyliana

Hyliana Guest

Well yeah the main reason I want to come out on Facebook is to just get it out in one go, because my family is scattered all over, and it'd be impossible to tell them all in person. Also I wouldn't have to just change my relationship status, but my gender and preferred pronouns too.

9. YermanTom

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I came out to my siblings via a group text..... (great reaction, if a bit shocked).....
    So I'm inclined to think how you come out is not hugely important. The reaction you get depends on the people you come out to.
    What ever you do I hope it works well for you. (*hug*)

10. UnderTheRainbow

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    That is a good idea, but you will have to come out to people that don't have facebook in person and they are usually the worst because they are usually older. You will also have to come out to people that you newly meet.

Other than that, I think that that is a good idea.:icon_bigg

11. doglover44

doglover44 Guest

I have been thinking about that but face to face sounds better

12. guitar

I would let those close to you know with a personal touch. Why not just change your details on Facebook? Then whoever goes looking for it will find it.

13. Chibi Giraffe

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm in a similar position. My extended family live in different states (only my immediate family lives in NC, those of whom I came out to already...) so I don't have the luxury of telling them all face to face. I would personally call them but I'm afraid it would take too long and too much out of me (my social anxiety would wear me out before finishing the deed). I'm thinking Facebook is a good way to go while also allowing me to express myself better. idk.... :eusa_doh:

14. candyjiru

I came out to my bff over text (long distance friends, lol) but I came out to a privated "close friends" group on facebook (not to all my friends or to my family, though... still mostly in the closet). It was well-received (especially since I'm an expat and don't have many of my close friends within striking distance anymore T.T)... I think family and super close friends should be in person or at least on the phone if face-to-face is too overwhelming or you think you might be in danger, but other than that, facebook can be an easy and freeing one-time coming out ^.^ Either way, good luck!!

15. Randomcloud

I haven't only because, truth be told half my FB friends are people I don't really care about and am only friends with because we might have added each other in 7th grade haha. So I don't want to share something so personal to a bunch of people who probably don't care/I don't think need to know. I just tell people face-to-face, especially people close to me. It's hard but I think it's nicer because you get an instant response and they will feel like you trust them enough to disclose it to them- it's more personal :slight_smile:

However, last week a person from my uni came out as transmaculine/GQ and the support was overwhelming. If face-to-face is too stressful and you are eloquent enough, Facebook might not be so bad :slight_smile: Of course, make sure it won't risk your job or safety...if you are FB friends with people who are known to be really homophobic or your boss/coworker or something just be careful (it sucks that we have to, but we do)!

Good luck! *hugs*

16. Hyliana

Hyliana Guest

I lived in a town where 90% of the people there are homophobic and racist and pretty much hate everything not 'normal' unfortunately I'm still connected to it because my parents live there, and I guess I'm more afraid of what they'd do to my parents than me. Because I'm never going back.

I guess I could just make the post visible only to people who aren't in/connected to that town so they never find out.

17. YermanTom

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Given where you live you might be better of coming out in person. Just to reduce the possibility of getting hassle from homophobic Neanderthals.
    The Facebook route will get it done a lot quicker but just make certain you protect yourself from the local bigots.
    Best of luck and look after yourself. (*hug*)

18. Oh Lilac

What I did was tell my closest friends and closets family first, and on Facebook, updated my preferences/relationship status, etc. properly, and here and there posted some pictures with my new wife! A few seemed to disappear from my life, others were supportive, and some went about business as usual. It was easier that way. I never did a formal Facebook announcement that I am gay, but if you decide to announce your news, keep it positive, that you're sharing good news, because you are! And if anyone is rude, then delete their comments and block them appropriately. Good riddance!