1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finally coming out to my father

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Asexual Pirate, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Asexual Pirate

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So I grew up with a fairly conservative father. I've finally decided that it's time to come out to him. I've already told my mum and sister, so it's just him left in my immediate family (there's no way I will ever come out to my extended family in this life unless they significantly change).

This summer will be my last summer at home and I've decided that this would be the best opportunity. I'm not sure how he's going to react considering he doesn't really like the LGBT community and has called us the f word many times, but I also know he loves me. In case he reacts badly, I've come up with a backup plan. The last of my pieces will be falling in place over the next two weeks (All my accounts are now separate and the one joint savings account has been almost completely emptied, if I must I can take out a student loan to finish my last year of college, a friend has offered me a couch to crash on if I get kicked out, and there's a backup employment plan in case I have to go back to school for the summer, and I have another friend with an empty shed who'd be willing to store my stuff if I can't keep it at my parent's house anymore). The only thing I am now waiting on is a friend who's agreed to give me a ride back to school if I need it to contact me with the logistics. Now that everything is pretty much settled, I can start thinking of schedules.

I'm currently studying abroad in the UK for a year. I'll be going home at the tail end of April and turning around on May 6-10 to go back to my home institution for graduation (the boyfriend is getting his degree). The idea I've had is to tell my father either right before I leave for graduation or right after I get back. I want him to have the whole summer to adjust to this while I'm still around to answer questions and soothe feelings. I don't want to tell him right before I go back to school for the new term because he'll think I just dumped something on him then ran away. If I tell him before graduation, we both have a few days apart to process everything. However, I could tell him after I get back from graduation so that we can spend my last summer at home exploring this together. Also, if I do end up getting kicked out, I want it to happen at the beginning of the summer so I can immediately go to my backup job at school. What do you guys think of this rather convoluted plan? When would you advise I should tell my father?

2. Wildside

Wildside Guest

it sounds like you have this well thought out. good luck on telling your father, and congratulations on the family members you've already told. and remember, he may not have a high opinion about the "lgbt community," but you're not the community, you're the daughter he loves.