1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

gathering courage to come out to my loved ones

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by lookingforme, Mar 30, 2015.

1. lookingforme

Out Status:
    A few people
    I've been thinking about whether to come out to my loved ones or not. It has been stressing me out recently, knowing that they don't know about my gender identity. And as I know they're open-minded, I don't think there'll be a problem telling them. But of course I'm nervous. No one in my family is transgender, they're all cis as far as I know.

Do you have any advices about coming out? I'm not sure how to tell them. I'm expecting to have to explain some things, such as what my gender identity means, what cis is and so on. But is there really a lot that has to be explained? All I have to say is that I'm not cis but trans and explain my gender identity, right? Is that a good way to do it?

2. gozmit

gozmit Guest

There is no right or wrong way to tell this. The only thing that is certain is that telling them won't be easy. If they are open-minded, then there really is no problem. When I told my open-minded parents, I instantly felt so much better. It's an amazing feeling. Just explain them calmly what cis, etc. is and they will be accepting. Maybe they will find it a awkward at first, but if they love you, they won't make a big deal out of it :slight_smile:

Best of luck!!

3. Wildside

Wildside Guest

some people find it easiest to pick someone in the family who they really think will be supportive and start with them. that way, you have some support as you tell others.

4. lookingforme

Out Status:
    A few people
    thank you for your support! I'm thinking about telling my mom, she's the most open-minded in my family.

does it matter for how long you've known before you come out? I haven't known my gender identity for too long, and I'm thinking that it's possible that it might change. But I don't know - I feel like I need to tell them, because it's hard to keep it inside. and even if lets say that I've known about my gender identity for like 6 months, it can still change, right? and without trying and experimenting, hw are you supposed to figure out who you are?

5. gozmit

gozmit Guest

Maybe you can tell your mom that you know that you are not 'mainstream straight', and that you think you have found your gender identity, but that it might change. But your mom will probably already have an idea that something is up, I mean, a parent just knows. Just tell her that you have something important to say, and just be honest with her, she'll be so happy that you just are honest with her and you are brave enough to tell her. And, yeah, also mention that you are not 100% sure at the moment but if your mom knows, she can support you.
    Best of luck :slight_smile:

6. lookingforme

Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks gozmit.

I forgot to tell her that I'm not a 100% sure but I think she figured it out anyway. She knows I'm young and that I'm going through different things and that I'm "a work in progress".