1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to parents

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by kindy14, Mar 30, 2015.

?

How to inform parents I'm bisexual

1. In Person

10 vote(s)
    55.6%
  2. Phone

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Email

8 vote(s)
    44.4%
  4. Don't bother

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. kindy14

kindy14 Guest

So, my parents are in their 70's and I feel I need to come out to them (and my sister) to explain my separating and divorcing. I need to do this before coming out publicly on facebook and what not.

I'm really not worried about them rejecting me to much, I barely see or talk to them as it is. I'm mostly worried about how it will effect them. Will it be to much for them to deal with? My mom is undergoing cancer treatments right now. My sister is trying to move to Florida.

Also, I don't know how to tell them, hence the poll. In person, over phone, or email?

I have severe anxiety issues with using the phone. I can put things off for days & weeks if it involves calling anyone.

In person, they are in Connecticut, and I'm in Indiana. I can't afford to go visit them, and probably wont be able to see them until the summer.

I just don't want to hide it anymore. I have no clue what to do.

2. gozmit

gozmit Guest

In my opinion, you should tell them in person (like I did). But since you live too far away, you can tell them by calling them. That's how my aunt told my grandfather. She was in her 40's and just called her dad to tell here she's gay and has a girlfriend. And there were no problems at all!
    Good luck!

#2 gozmit, Mar 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2015
  3. Foz

Foz Guest

Best way is in person, once you say 'I have to tell you something' there is no going back, whereas on the phone you can just hang up.

4. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    logistaly you have a problem, however, what i did was to tell them in person. it is worth noting that they live about 100 feet from me, next door.

5. kindy14

kindy14 Guest

Oh yeah, I also have to tell them why I'm divorcing my wife. There are many reasons to go over.

My sexuality is part of this divorce, and my complete ambivalence to monogamy. I don't want to be monogamous anymore.

I've realized that my love had become a bond only on our vows. I had commitment and little else. I'd stopped wanting to be intimate with her about 4 or 5 years ago. I never had much passion for the marriage or her. I literally played a role to appease her in many cases. I couldn't stand her family, but for the sake of whatever... go along to get along.

6. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  7. Deadsouls

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    You always do it in person. Show your emotions to them, be convincing to them. Doing it over email or text is like dropping a ton of bricks on them and is not sincere or fair to both parties.