1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out in university

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by gozmit, Mar 30, 2015.

1. gozmit

gozmit Guest

Hi everyone,
    I've been out for almost half a year to my friends and family. They were all very supportive so that's great.
    But I really want to come out to my university class (7 people). I wouldn't call them my friends, but we have a lot of fun in class. But how can I casually mention that I'm gay. I don't know how to start that conversation. I hate it that they don't know, because it feels to me like I'm hiding something.

Do you guys have any advice?

PS: there is 1 girl in my class who is a lesbian and she's out (well it's kinda obvsious, but maybe they think the same about me, I don't know, lol :grin: )

2. Lyana

Well, if you don't feel like making an announcement out of it:

- You could mention your boyfriend, an ex-boyfriend, someone you've dated if there has been anyone. They'll get the hint and it's completely natural to talk about this kind of stuff without prefacing it with "I'm straight" or "I'm this or that."
    - You could mention a guy you find attractive in passing.
    - You could be vocal about pro-LGBT rights stuff when the subject comes up (which it may do often enough, on television or in the news or whatever). That might be enough for them to get the hint, or you might have to say something like "Yeah, the discrimination we face really sucks" or "I don't want to get married myself, but I want to have the right to do it."
    - If someone asks if you have a girlfriend, or if you find this girl attractive, or whatever, say "I'm gay" or "I'm not into girls."

3. gozmit

gozmit Guest

Thank you, Lyana :slight_smile: I will def try those tips!

4. Wildside

Wildside Guest

one thing is that whenever a related topic comes up, you can casually slip it into conversation. for example, if the topic was marriage equality, you could start your comment off by saying, "from my personal perspective as a gay person..."
    and you can discuss it in private conversation as well, such as by having a coffee with the girl you know is a lesbian and mention to her how it felt when you came out to your family, and ask her if it was like that to her, or some such thing

5. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Rainbow bracelet.

6. Wildside

Wildside Guest

I found a watch on Amazon with a rainbow watchband. another great way, and slightly more subtle.