1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I came out to mom, but she doesn't really support me. :(

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ThePrideInside4, Mar 31, 2015.

1. ThePrideInside4

I haven't been online in a LONG time, and here's why.

About a month ago, I wanted to tell my mom about my depression. I've been experiencing depression for a few years now, and most of it was caused by my dysphoria. I wasn't planning on saying what I said, but I did.
    I started by telling my mom about the depression, but then it slipped. I accidentally said "most of it is caused by my dysphoria". Now, in my head, I'm trans. But I didn't feel comfortable saying the word "transgender" to my mom. I didn't feel safe. When she heard this she didn't understand what I meant. So I explained to her the world of gender, I explained genderfluid, agender, non-binary, everything. Except transgender. Then, another secret slipped. I told her about Empty Closets. Now, this ticked her off. She does not allow me to have social media or anything like it. She thinks the internet is out to get me and that everyone on it is a rapist. That's when she pulled out her phone and checked it out. At this point, I was already bawling.

That's when I said the word. I said that Empty Closets wasn't like Facebook. No one can hurt me here, I feel safe here. Then I said "I've met a lot of other transgenders who have helped me".

I said "I don't want to be a girl, I'm not a girl, I'm not happy like this. I just want to be normal".

Then my heart broke when she said:

"I don't want you to be a boy"

I AM a boy. I've ALWAYS been a boy.

She couldn't stop asking so many questions. I began to feel attacked and I couldn't breathe. She didn't care.

She said "stay off of this website! We can deal with this without their help! We can fix this! We can go to a therapist!"
    But she didn't realize that the thing that needed to be fixed in the situation was HER. I don't need to be fixed. My confidence and self-esteem, yes. But mostly her. She needs to support me, not try to fix me!

Ever since then, she STILL uses female pronouns. She doesn't allow me to wear guys' clothes. I went to the therapist once, and it was merely just a check-up. She also made me promise that I won't get surgeries, because she thinks that's "going too far".

What do I do to gain respect and support? She causes me so much stress and sadness. Please, I'm begging whoever is reading this. I feel like I've been beaten in my own battle. Please please please please please please please help me. I just want to be happy. I'm not happy pretending to be a girl that I am not. :'(

---------- Post added 31st Mar 2015 at 06:58 PM ----------

And she also asked if it's because I like girls, and when I told her I'm gay, she didn't understand.

2. headie2infinity

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm so sorry that you are going through this. I think you need to keep your chin up. There will be a time that you won't be under her roof and can do whatever makes you feel the most happy. I think you need to be upfront with her without getting to emotional or angry. If the topic comes up you could tell her. I understand, that you don't understand who I really am but I am happy this way. Then ask her don't you want me to be happy and be true to who I am? If her response to this is negative you could go on to say that you are sorry that she is struggling with this but you want to live a authentic life and this is who you are and you want her to be proud of you. I would recommend seeing a therapist but to cope with your mothers struggles to your coming out to her. Maybe try to talk specifically about this to your therapist and make it clear about who you are and who you want to be as a person. I hope things get better. You could also tell your mother, if she brings up empty closets, that no one is allowed to contact you outside of the website and that it is all anonymous.

3. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

A therapist could still be a good idea, but not because you need to be 'fixed'. You could have extra help with talking about your gender and issues with your Mom. The problem is though is that since you're 13, It's possible your Mom wouldn't pick a good LGBT friendly therapist.

I'm sorry you have to go through this. She sounds WAY too over-protective and I fear for you.

4. Deadsouls

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Honestly therapy would help, the problem is you are not of a legal age in which you can pick a therapist. Your mother can pick whatever therapist and they can be transphobic which is a shame. I personally have had good experience with therapy. I am a survivor of sexual abuse from 2 or 3 relationships. However, they will help you how to deal with your problems, you have to implement what they say to do. Coping with your gender identity at your age is a huge problem due to a lot of factors. Puberty, middle school, age, and social status. I came out of the closet at 14 in school but 15 to my parents. It was a mistake to do it so young especially in a very homophobic school but this leads into my next piece of advice, do not come out of the closet in middle school. Also, depending on which state you are in, therapists legally cannot try to do gay conversion therapy.

5. sedgeling

First of all, what you did was very brave. Coming out at 13 is not an easy thing, and honestly, you have way more guts than I did at your age. I'm sorry that you got the reaction that you did, but sometimes this does happen.

I think that this really has come as a big shock to your mother. While gay issues have been getting a lot more spotlight in recent times, I think the transgender topic has gotten far less. Most people don't understand it, if they have even heard of it. You have to understand that for people who have never even been exposed to the idea that gender isn't just what is in a person's pants, it can be hard to understand, and for many people, understanding is the first step to empathy.

However, I'm not saying that your mother's reaction is okay. I'm just explaining a little of why she may be behaving why she is, and I think sometimes that understanding that helps a little bit.

The cat is out of the bag now, and she's a little bit more desensitized to the issue than she was before. She is going to take time to be even able to wrap her mind around the idea that the person she thought was her little girl, is actually her son. Just remember, you had a lot of time to know about yourself and come to terms with you identity. She has comparatively had very little. However, she does need to come around and realize that just because what she thought she knew about your identity is not what it truly is, doesn't mean that you still aren't her kid, and she should love you all the same.

I think that the therapist, if they are LGBT friendly, could actually be beneficial to you in this situation. Having an adult who you can talk to about this is very helpful. As great as friends can be, the objective insight of an adult is a very great thing to have, and they can help advocate for your feelings on your behalf. If the therapist is not LGBT friendly, I'm not sure I have much advice for that. I don't have experience with that sort of thing. However, I will say that the therapist you see is not the only adult you can talk to. Reach out to school counselors or teachers who you know you can talk to and be honest with, and receive help from.

Personally, I dealt with depression while I was in the closet. I hadn't come out yet, but I needed to talk to someone about all of it. The first person I picked was my chemistry teacher who used to be the GSA sponsor, and she was my "anchor." Whenever I was having a bad day, I went to her, she sat me down, and let me vent. Sometimes there wasn't really any advice, but being able to let out my feelings was a good thing. Eventually I started seeing my counselor as well, which was also helpful.

Putting this up on EC was your first step at helping yourself. Don't let your own thoughts eat at you. Bad thoughts and emotions have less power over you if you share them with someone who is going to be empathetic and is trustworthy. Even if you can't fix the situation, someone to help you feel better about what it is you're going through is an important tool.

6. lovely lesbian

I'm so sorry your going through this

7. ThePrideInside4

So I've only talked to her once since then and she said that she's cool with me wearing men's clothes but she's not gonna use the right pronouns and she keeps introducing me to people as her daughter and it's so embarrassing and I have to pretend to be a perfect little girl for her :frowning2: this is awful