1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

confused, anxious, coming out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by lemur4, Mar 31, 2015.

1. lemur4

I'm 21. I've been seeing a therapist for a while(for depression and social anxiety which i have a major problem with), who i now know is gay. I mentioned that I've found guys attractive and for the past year my sexuality has been up for discussion. I'm at the point where he thinks i should come out and urges me to do so, he says it will make me feel better. But I'm not sure I'm actually gay(or do i just not want to be gay). I say I'm gay whenever i see him, but i don't internally agree with myself whenever i say it. I see beauty in all types of people, but for a while my sexual desire has felt so out of whack. i haven't been turned on in months by anything. Anyway i came out as bi to my friend tonight. He's someone who i know not too-but somewhat well... i felt relatively ok with telling him. It went well, he was really accepting, but i thought he was gay and he's not. that was my motivation for telling him... well besides my therapists advice. Instantly i was left feeling heavier rather than lighter and i regretted coming out. the whole time we were together, i was really anxious and constantly questioned why i came out. I was playing the part of the person who has their shit together but i probably came off as something completely different. i said it was great to tell someone, but it honestly didn't feel good. maybe i told the wrong person. i wanted to be alone so badly but i stayed with him for two more hours. we talked but i wasn't there. I'm usually not "there" in any social situation these days. Thats what scares me, losing myself. No matter how well i know the person(s) i can't get out of my own head. its gotten to be quite a problem that leaves me in my house, scared to interact with the world most times. I question if my being uncomfortable has to do with my sexual uncertainty or if it is something undiscovered, deeper than my sexuality. Or is the big picture that i need to man up and come to terms with and accept myself? I just want to feel like my own, confident, self-respected, happy person again. thanks for reading this long ass thread. I'm not sure what my message is, but i felt the need to type something out.

2. sappho06

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hey :slight_smile: It sounds to me as though your therapist maybe "forced" you into coming out? I mean, are you comfortable identifying as bisexual or gay? It's a long process for some, but finding someone attractive doesn't mean much. How do you imagine yourself in the future (with a man or a woman)? Have you considered seeing another therapist? Sorry, I'm just asking questions... :slight_smile:

3. lemur4

Hello! In a sense i was a bit forced, but it was ultimately my decision. I haven't fully figured myself out yet so I'm not sure if i am comfortable with identifying as either yet(especially after coming out to someone). maybe i should change therapists... or just stop therapy(I've been seeing some sort of therapist for years now, maybe i need a break). I honestly just feel lost and a bit insane. In the future? i could see myself with either. I've only ever had one significant other and that was a girlfriend in high school. I'm not really good at getting close to people anymore so its hard for me to tell who i prefer. I've been making too big a deal out of the whole thing which just makes it more difficult to interact with others, be they guys or girls(its actually harder for me to start conversations with girls, i feel like I'm being judged more when i talk to them rather than guys... yes I'm the one doing the judging but its just a feeling). I do want to see what its like being with a guy though, just to know if its right for me. for me, its hard to open up and stay open. No need to apologize, your questions are helping me think :slight_smile: