1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out pansexual to homophobic parents.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by DarkHorse, Apr 2, 2015.

1. DarkHorse

Since really known, I've been different to other people and recently a year ago I've identified myself as pansexual, I haven't seen it as a big deal as I haven't been in a relationship and I'm not one of those people who tell the world my thoughts however recently my dad made a homophobic comment about something and I'm just worried that my parents might not accept me if one day I bring home someone who is trans*/a woman and my parents are in shock meaning I feel it's best if I tell them. Is it worth "coming out" to them as I feel to me it's not a big deal as I'm not in a relationship at the moment and if so how should I out it to them?
    My parents to make very stereotypical jokes about groups LGBT groups and I'm so scared that I'm going to be the laughing stock of the family as I'm "different". They've even laughed at me before as I went against their homophobia, they don't seem serious at all.

2. FancyGummy

MA, UNITED STATES, FURTHER DETAILS UNKNOWN
    Well... They seem like total jerks. Are you still living with them?

3. Oh Lilac

First, they are the ones who should be ashamed of their behavior, not you. I'm so sorry you have these concerns. The sad truth is you may have to distance yourself from your family if they do not respect your life. It is up to you how free and open you want to be, and that should help you to decide to tell them or not.

If you feel they may ostracize you, it might be worth going to counseling over this. Are you old enough to live on your own?

As far as how to tell them, either wait until you're dating someone or be very firm and say that you are pansexual. Explain what it means and that it is highly likely you may date a woman or a person who is trans, and so forth. Tell them you love them, that you are worried about your family's treatment of you and others you may date, but your happiness is important, and this is who you are. I wish you the best!