1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to aunts...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Chibi Giraffe, Apr 3, 2015.

1. Chibi Giraffe

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Ok, so I've finally decided that I can't hide it anymore. I am thinking about sending a mass message to some of my aunts (and hopefully they can pass it down to other family members). This is more-or-less the message I'm thinking of sending:

Hey, this is Nathan.
    I’ve been going through a lot of stress lately, and holding secrets from my family doesn’t make it any better for me. So here it goes. I’ve been dealing with same-sex attraction for years now and have finally come to terms with it. I am gay. I hope this isn’t too impersonal. I barely see you guys once a year and there are so many family members. I thought this would be the best way to get it to everyone at the same time in the most precise manner. If you have any questions or anything please get in touch. I’m not looking for sympathy or support. I just hate living this lie and I want my family know before it comes out another way.
    Love and thanks for reading.

Is this a good idea or what? I'm pretty anxious right now and I'm tired of my immediate family acting like they don't know. Maybe this will force them to acknowledge my coming-out finally...

2. Chibi Giraffe

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well, i did it. The responses were like "we love you but not the sin" stuff. One even "dared" me to go on a fast for 30 days, asking God for help. I didn't want to tell her that I wasn't a Christian anymore and I suckered into "giving God another chance". Apparently the 10+ years of praying and begging for god's help before wasn't enough for him, he needed 30 more days. I don't even know if I'm actually gonna go through with this fast.

But I feel so relieved and I'm glad to at least know where everybody stands on the ("non-" really) issue.

3. gloomyra

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm glad to hear you went through with it, but sorry to hear about the response you got. It makes me said hearing all of the reactions people get coming out to religious family. I know not all Christians feel that way about same-sex relations, but for the ones that do it's hard, if not impossible, to get them to see things any other way.

Still, I'm glad they weren't too upset. And if you aren't Christian anymore, why bother fasting? I hope you know there's nothing wrong with you for being yourself. If there's a God, and he/she isn't a jerk, I'm sure he/she loves you all the same. :slight_smile:

4. Chibi Giraffe

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    thanks +gloomryra. Idk, i just get so anxious and nervous and end up falling into these situations. I was trying so hard to avoid talking about my disbelief that i ended up falling into the trap. i know fasting is worthless, i tried it so many times when i was a believer, *sigh*...

5. Noodle72

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sorry to hear about the reactions you got from coming out, but hopefully they'll come around. I wish you luck! :slight_smile:

6. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Being hungry for 30 days isn't going to turn you straight; it might help you lose a good bit of weight though.

7. LiquidSwords

So that you have an even better chance of finding a bf :thumbsup:

Seriously though forget the fasting.. It's a shame you got that stuff about sin but I guess things could go worse coming out to a religious family. Either way I'm pretty sure you're in a better place now than before, so well done