1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I come out to everyone or individually?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Akira12, Apr 3, 2015.

1. Akira12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So I was wanting to come out to more of my friends on fb but was wondering if it would be better to individually message the ones I want to tell vs saying it for everyone to see? I'm not out to family and this is a separate fb which also I have followed a ton of yaoi pages so not sure if anyone else can see that. Now that I asked that wonder if my mom sees the pages I'm following and suspects something? Think ill come out to ppl individually but was wanting to ask what you wonderful people think? Can someone who's not a friend see what pages you follow or timelines?

2. Noodle72

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you can edit if only your friends see your likes or if everyone does. If you can't or can't find that setting, then I would suggest the individual messages.
    I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

3. Akira12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh...you can donthat? Sweet xD thanks so much xd

4. doglover44

doglover44 Guest

What are the pros and cons of each ?

5. Akira12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well the pros of everyone at once is I can just get it out and let everyone know but risk the problem of backlash or someone I don't want knowing finding out. Individually I can pick and chose who I want and not worry about it being spread around for the most part. That sounds a lot better I think I just answered my own question 0.o lol.

6. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You can define a different category of friend called "close friends" and only expose certain fields of information About you (Such as Interested in Men) to these "close friends". Your regular friends will not be able to see this if they look at your "About" information. You can also restrict things you post to these same categories, and only they will see your post in their feeds, but if they post back to you in general on your Wall, "Hey, congratulations on coming out as flamboyantly gay", then others who have access to your Wall might see it in their feeds or when they explicitly look at your Wall.

Playing Facebook Roulette with very sensitive personal information you don't want to be generally known to all is taking a chance that all will find it out, in one unexpected way or another. I don't think anyone truly knows what Facebook will decide to put into the Home feeds, or when, even the people who wrote the code.

7. Akira12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    True may just not do so. Thanks for all the things I didn't know about xD.