1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

casual homophobic comments stop me from coming out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ilovesg, Apr 3, 2015.

1. ilovesg

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    So my sister is my best friend and has been basically since I was born, but she constantly makes fun of gay people for some reason. It doesn't make sense because she knows so many gay people. My aunt is gay,her cousin is gay, and her brother in law is gay, so I don't know why she still does this. She says things like "she's a lesbian now" or "she's probably gonna be a lesbian," She acts like its something you choose randomly one day. We have different dads and her dad is homophobic so that could be it. It just sucks because I don't feel like I'm as close to her as I used to be because of this. I don't want to hurt her feelings though. I've considered mentioning that everytime she makes fun of gay people she's makig fun of me, but I'm not brave enough to say that lol. What do I do? And I also know that if I came out she would just think I'm trying to be like my aunt or something because she's a lesbian too. It sounds stupid but it's somethhing she would say lol.

---------- Post added 3rd Apr 2015 at 07:23 PM ----------

and I know she isn't actually homophobic (at least I hope) but it still bothers me

2. md1999

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm going through this same thing right now. How does your sister react when the topic of the sexuality of her aunt, cousin, etc is brought up?

3. ilovesg

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    my sister makes fun of them :/ I remember her talking to her neighbor about how weird it was that her cousin is gay and the neighbor agreed. I know she loves me and her cousin and my aunt but she says some pretty harsh things behind their backs and I don't want her to do the same thing to me

4. Oh hai

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It's sad that we live in a world of such homophobia, but if you think she isn't really homophobic and that these are not serious comments then you should come out to her.