1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Close friend uncomfortable by my sexuality

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by suchconfusion, Apr 3, 2015.

1. suchconfusion

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hello! I know this isn't exactly a problem with me needing to come out, but I wasn't sure whihc category to fit it in. I came out to my friends individually, but not my parents. I guess I don't need advice, but a peace of mind. I've told many of my close friends, but I have one friend who seems...for lack of a better world, uneasy whenever I talk about girls I like. Honestly, is it rude of me to talk to her about those things if she can't relate? Or is it not my fault that she disconnects from me whenever I go into a tangent about people I'm interested in? Honestly, it's so minimal and sort of an idiotic question to ask, but it makes me kind of sad that she feels sort of uncomfortable around me. I mean, is it my fault? Should I expect her to regard it without being weird if its something she's not use to? I seriously have no clue. I feel sort of ignorant about this.
    Sorry again, haha I don't know what I expect of this. It's sort of a ridiculous thing to ask, but it really bothers me. Thanks!!

2. nohalos

Hi!

I do think it would be best to talk to her and ask her if she's not comfy with it. I'm not sure how to handle if she does say yes, but at least you've established the issue.

I guess giving her time to adjust would be best. Some people need to process such huge details like this, especially if their upbringing was against it. If she is your true friend, she'll come around in due time. :slight_smile:

Best of luck!

3. ilovesg

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hey! I went through literally the exact same thing. When I came out to my best friend (2 years ago) she said I was confused and that was about it. Everytime I mentioned a girl that I liked she would immediately change the subject. Eventually I asked her about it and she said it made her uncomfortable and she just needed time. I think it's imprtant that you let your friend know how it makes you feel. Sometimes there is just a miscommunication and sometimes that person honestly just needs some time to adjust. My friend can talk to me about girls now and she's actually the one who usually brings it up. Sometimes it just takes time.

4. suchconfusion

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I hope you're right :| thanks :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 3rd Apr 2015 at 09:08 PM ----------

I'm really happy your best friend came around :grin: Honestly, I hope mine does. I wouldn't say we're besties, but we're pretty close and she's the only one of my immediate friends that's iffy about it :/ but thanks for that

#4 suchconfusion, Apr 3, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2015