1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't read my mom?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by md1999, Apr 4, 2015.

1. md1999

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi guys,
    So, I don't plan on coming out to my parents in the near future, but when I do, I'd like to sort of know how they will react, and I think you guys can help me. Background info: both my parents are liberals, and neither of them are religious. They seem to be pretty tolerant, which leads me to believe it will go well, except for a few things. Occasionally, my mom will randomly comment on how excited she is to meet my future wife (not happening, mom) and to be a grandmother to our children. Also, If we are talking about someone who happens to be gay, their sexuality is always the first thing she will say about them. The final thing that I am afraid of is that she doesn't keep secrets very well. When I told her I was going on a date with a girl one time (keep in mind she was a good friend but nothing more) and I asked her not to tell anyone, I got a text from my friend like 30 min later wishing me luck on the date I hadnt told him about.

Am I crazy for thinking this won't go well? I'd love your guys' inputs. Also, sorry for any grammar or spelling mistakes as its 12:30 AM and I'm on my phone haha.

2. Randomcloud

You can never know for sure! It *sounds* like your parents shouldn't have any reason to be against it. Still, I totally get why you might be hesitant- I think everyone is. I was super reluctant to tell my parents even though they are very liberal and only one is a bit religious. But once I told them, it was such a relief and the response was good. My mom used to always be pushing me to date boys but now that I'm out, she's like "hey that girl is pretty/why don't you have a girlfriend/my friends daughter.." etc etc xD So hopefully your mom will be like that- as for the kids thing, being gay isn't gonna stop you from having kids, even biological ones. The secrets thing is something to consider...how comfortable would you be with other people knowing about your sexuality? I mean, if you make it really clear that you DON'T want anyone else to know and you're serious about it, your parents should hopefully be able to respect that.
    Good luck, anyway ^^

3. md1999

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks for the advice. I hope they deal with it in the way that you described, that would be a relief.

4. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would trust that their parental instinct will kick in, and if you tell them to please keep it confidential, then they would most likely respect that as a parent; all considering you described them as very liberal.

In terms of grandkids, you can still always give them that (so long as that is what you want)!