1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is coming out necessary?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by emmauk, Apr 4, 2015.

1. emmauk

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi guys, new to this, and a bit confused about what to do!

So I'm pretty sure I'm a lesbian, and would probably class myself as butch. I've dressed in mens clothes for as long as I can remember, even mens boxers (but they are suuuper comfy!). I'm debating whether to come out to my family and friends. I've always kind of given off vibes that I like men, for instance when chatting with friends and do the 'describe your ideal man' thing, but I think I was just going along with what everyone else was doing. I would like to try and put myself out there a bit more, as I look at other butch lesbians and think, I really really fancy you! Mainly as some people just assume I'm straight as I haven't said otherwise, but others assume I'm a lesbian just from how I dress. I have no idea about dating, as I've never been with a man or a woman or done anything beyond a kiss at a school disco when I was about 10! I know that if I came out my family would be fine with it, as would the majority of my friends. I don't feel like coming out is a necessity for me, as I think the majority of my close friends and family already assume it, but would it be helpful in finding a potential partner? Or do I just need to give off subtle vibes to others who may be looking, such as a rainbow bracelet?

Any help would be awesome! :icon_bigg

2. Scifiguy338

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    :icon_winkGive them all the subtle clues. I think your all good to go with coming out since people already may assume it. You might as well tell them. I think you should tell your close friends directly, but do whatever you want.:slight_smile:

3. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's up to you. For this type of thing, some choose to just simply be out, instead of coming out. In some ways, there's less drama involved.

4. nohalos

If you feel like you need to "officiate", then do so. :grin: But I guess it's also fine that you're just out. Like, when someone asks, you say yes. :grin:

5. vamonos

I agree 100%.