1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeling kinda overshadowed by my sister

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Void Puppy, Apr 5, 2015.

1. Void Puppy

So for context, my sister is a year older than me. We've always been extremely close friends. She's extremely liberal (despite our not-so-much parents) and has always been outspoken about LGBT rights, ect.

A few months ago we were texting. Somehow the conversation lead to LGBT stuff (I forget the specifics). I felt that this was a good time, so I admitted to being bi. She basically said "cool", and then proceeded to tell me that she was as well!

I was extremely surprised, and we both sorta dropped the conversation. She's brought it up a few times but we both keep it low because of our parents.

I guess what I'm saying is that it almost made my coming out to her feel insignificant, which I suppose is a good thing. I think mostly it just felt really strange.

Anyone else ever had this happen?

2. MathMan

Hey, I can relate to this. When I was 15 through 17 my aunt and some other family me members basically knew I was gay from my internet usage. From that time until about 3 years ago I've had serious self hatred and have been in denial of my feelings.

Well, may of 2012, when I was in drug. Rehab I came out to myself and my counselor,and about a year and a half later I came out to my aunt and family. They basically said "we know, it's fine" and I wanted to just scream because this had been a huge struggle for most of my life and their reaction felt so...underwhelming and not as dramatic as I had pictured lol