1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I come out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by RetroRhombus, Apr 6, 2015.

1. RetroRhombus

RetroRhombus Guest

So that friend that I have a huge crush on, is a lot more open minded than he has seemed to be in the last year. He is perfectly fine with my atheism, and apologized for when he acted so freaked out about gay people. I did get a fortune saying there would be a big event with a friend that will make us closer... maybe it is true :slight_smile:

Please give some advice, because I really would like to come out, Especially because another friend is openly against my agnosticism and said that if he had a gay friend, it wouldn't be okay. :icon_wink

2. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Come out come out wherever you are. :lol:

3. nohalos

You should only come out whenever you feel most comfortable.

If you still have a lot of doubts about it, you should wait a little longer. Remember that this coming out is about you, and not about them. Don't feel pressured to do so. Only do it when you feel like the time is right.

Maybe for now, drop subtle hints on the more accepting one. As for the other one, I guess gauge him out a little more. Or at least when you get to discussing sexuality, make sure that he understands the rainbow side of the story.

Best of luck!

4. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    [​IMG]

Really, though, it may be okay to come out to him. I wouldn't tell him you have a crush on him at the same time (which I feel you're implying)... One step at a time...

5. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Come out to your friend when you feel that he would accept you as you are, and if you feel comfortable with him knowing. Coming out to him and telling him that you have a crush on him are usually best treated as separate events. First you come out, then judge how he feels about you after he knows and knows he can express his feelings to you safely IF he has romantic feelings for you. Don't expect that just because he is comfortable with you being gay, that that means he has reciprocal feelings for you. Falling for straight guys is a very old story which usually doesn't have the desired ending.

The religious issue is an independent issue, unless it is the source of homophobic feelings and behavior.

6. RetroRhombus

RetroRhombus Guest

I do think it may have been a source of homophobic feelings, and also brought it up to show he is a lot more accepting than he would have been a few months ago.

7. BonnieJ2604

I myself am an atheist and I am constantly told that I am a "religious hater" constantly, you are so lucky to have such an open minded friend. It concerns me that your friend was negative towards gay people months ago but if he is a real friend he will be accepting of who you are. Really, this is the best way to test if your friend is true. Tell him who you are and if he accepts it then really he is a great friend.
    Best Wishes
    -Bonnie<3

8. Cliffjumper126

Nashville (Wyoming/Yellowstone for the Summer)
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Honestly, I say go for it, if you're ready. I have a friend who was very much a gay-basher in high school (before we were friends) and then we were at a party recently and he ended up coming out to me (and coming onto me surprisingly). So just remember that sometimes people who are anti-gay are in the closet themselves and that's why they act the way they do. It's entirely up to you but with that fact and the fact that he's changed his behavior, I'd say go for it. If he's accepting then I don't think it could turn out badly anyway. Plus he may be trying to tell you something :wink:

9. RetroRhombus

RetroRhombus Guest

I really don't think he is gay. I have "pretended" to come on to him, and he gets uncomfortable. He tells me to stop but I do it to annoy him sometimes. I might actually over the weekend. I really want to, but also don't.