1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Awkward Part 2

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by EM68, Nov 17, 2008.

1. EM68

I followed Lex's advice and came up with a coming out letter. Like I have said in other postings, I am not ready to come out to my parents until after the new year. I used this more of an exercise to get things off of my chest. I found it very cathartic. Below is my coming out letter to my parents.

Dear Mom & Dad,

I wanted to write you this letter because I have something very important to tell you. Just so you do not get worried everything is alright. I am more than alright for the first time in my life I am truly happy. I love you two so much that I can not truly express how I feel towards you guys. What I want to tell you is that I am gay.

For years I have been struggling with my sexuality and a while ago came to terms with who I truly am. This is something that I finally feel that can share with you. The past couple of years have been tough with everything going on with dad and G(my brother) divorce. I wanted to wait until things settled down.

I also want you two to know that I am very comfortable with this. For a long time I agonized why I could not be a relationship with a woman. For a while I was wondering with what is wrong with me. After a long time of soul searching I realize what I am really looking for. Even though at times I was happy, I was not truly happy because I did not have someone in my life that I could love. I do not want you to blame yourself at all for this. You guys have loved me more than any parents could have loved their son. This is just who I am. I do not know why it took me this long to come to the realization that I am gay but it is something that happened. I am not going to look back and ask me why it is, it is just the way that it happened. My situation is not unique. There are a number of people later in life who discover their true self.

Like I said before, I love you guys so much; you have always been there for me. This is another reason why I have found it so hard to tell you until now. I am so sorry if this news causes you any pain. I pray it does not. You mom have told me that you are proud of me and I have grow up to be a good son. I hope you still feel this way. If you have any questions just ask me. Like always I will be as honest with you as I can.

Your Loving Son,

EM

If you guys have any input, let me know. Thanks.

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly, other than making a few very superficially changes - swapping a couple of sentences, a few grammatical things - I don't know if you can improve on this. :slight_smile:

Lex

3. LorenzG1950

I like it. As Lex said, a few typos but very positive in tone. I'm sure it wil go over well when you're ready. :thumbsup:

4. mikeyjames17

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I came out in the same way :slight_smile:
    I think your very brave for wanting to show your parents this letter.
    I went away for a bit to my aunts, so i saw this as an opportunity to leave it with my mum whilst i was away.SHe sent me a text saying she would always love me no matter what :slight_smile: And when i came home, i talked to her about it and even had a laugh over it :slight_smile:
    I hope the same thing goes for you and everything turns out well :slight_smile:

5. s5m1

Very well said. I think it is great.

6. Markio

I see no typos, just a lack of commas. You even spelled cathartic correctly! :icon_bigg

I'd just be sure you have resources of information so that you're prepared for their questions.

7. EM68

Thanks guys! I guess all of the grammar classes in high school, paid off! :icon_bigg Like I said I am going to wait until after the new year to give it to them. I am soo ready to come out to them. I can not wait!

8. starfish

I like it. As other have said it is very positive.

The sentence really moved me. It made me realize how important it is to come out and to be who we truly are. I have to say I envy you. I wish I had the courage to come out and be my true self.

9. EM68

Thanks. It was a process to come out to myself. There were times I had a bit of self hate. Just take your time. Don't rush it! (*hug*)

I wanted to let my parents that I was not bull shitting them or anything. I did not want them to think it was a cry for help or anything. It's hard to explain fully. I just wrote this from the heart.

10. tm74

tm74 Guest

Thanks for posting that very personal letter on here - hopefully others will find it useful too. :eusa_clap