1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm tired of being alone

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by starfish, Nov 17, 2008.

1. starfish

I've wanted to start this thread the past week but I could not find the words.

I've recently moved to a new town and I have no friends here. Even in my old town I really only had 4 friends. I'm just generally not a social person. I usually just tend to keep to myself.

The move has been good because it has given me the fresh start and courage to acknowledge who I am. However I would like to make some new friends and ultimately find a boyfriend. However there are two issues. One is that I really don't know how to meet new people. All my current friends are from previous jobs. While I like the people I work with I really want some friends that understand while it like to come out of the closet.

The second is that I am scared of intimacy. I don't want to hash it out here but I have been hurt a lot in the past so I am scared to let anyone get close to me. However I am tried of being alone. Honestly I want to find a man that can be my better half. Someone that I share my life with and that can help me grow into a better person.

I've thought about just going down to one of the gay bars in town, but I don't like crowed noisy places. They make me very uncomfortable. Too bad there is not a gay Home Depot. :grin:

2. Emile

Emile Guest

Maybe you could join a GLBT group :slight_smile: . I've never been to one, but from what I heard (many sources) people are really nice and they'll understand you. You could just call and ask if they have an activity soon. Tell the person you're new to this city and that you'd just like to make new friends. Normally they'll integrate you into Though, know that, even though they're gay, that doesn't make them your friends.

For your intimacy issues, maybe you'll feel better if you meet new people, make new friends. Talk about it with them. Or, you could always see a shrink, it really helps. And trust me, it really does.

And do you have a job? You'll meet new people there, don't forget about that :slight_smile: .

I hope things will go well for you! Hope it helps!

3. Jim1454

Not sure about central Texas, but there is a LGBT social group here in Toronto called 'Out and Out'. They organize all kinds of social and sports events for gays in the Toronto area. If I were in your situation, I would definitely join that and see what comes of it. Even if there's one in a nearby city, it would be worth the drive. Just showing up means your gay - it is assumed. And you can therefore just be yourself.

Good luck. PM me if you want to chat. I know how awful it feels to be alone.

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Two things to try.

First off, as suggested, check for some gay groups in your area. Many have mixers or "getting to know you" type events.

Secondly, think of some activities/interests you might want to work on. Volleyball? Art? Cooking? Volunteering? Then do a Google search. First, start out broad. "(your city) (activity)". See if you can find a volleyball league, a cooking class, a place to volunteer. These activities are great to meet people, because it automatically gives you some common ground with the other people there - you're both volleyball fans, you can discuss your technique and past playing, what have you. If you're finding a lot of matches, try narrowing the search - "gay (your city) (activity)". Who knows - maybe there's a gay volleyball league there. :slight_smile:

Lex