1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to come out to Dad who's a preacher at church.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by luminescence, Apr 8, 2015.

1. luminescence

So my family's always been this picture perfect Christian family, where my dad's a preacher of some sort, and suprisingly enough, I'm a volunteer Sunday school teacher.

I love my dad, but I always feel guilty whenever I go to church with him, and whenever he asks if this friend of mine is my boyfriend. And whenever I try to tell him, I never manage to get anything out since I really don't want him to be disappointed or sad with me, since I've always been the model sibling too. But worse of all, I'm not sure if he's homophobic or anything. What do I do?

2. ApexxShadow

The best thing to do when coming out is making sure you're physically and emotionally safe. Sometimes, it's not safe to come out. My advice is to make sure you feel ready. I know it's not easy, but in this situation consider yourself first. If you want, you can write a letter to them, or something like that. Maybe try coming out to your mom, or a sibling, or a good friend first. Best of wishes, and don't hesitate to contact me if you need to talk, or anymore advice :slight_smile:

3. luminescence

Problem is that my mom's kind of a full fledged homophobic. Gaaahh

4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maybe with a bit of scripture that justifies your feelings? Doesn't have to be anything really obscure or abstract; there's plenty in the bible about love and familial ties.

5. kindy14

kindy14 Guest

I actually found this yesterday and thought it was a great resource...

The Bible Does NOT Condemn Homosexuality

Society has made accommodations, compromises from the biblical text on a number of issues.

Divorce, adultery, contraceptives, sex outside marriage, working on the Sabbath, etc...

#5 kindy14, Apr 9, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
  6. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A lot will depend on your denomination and it's approach to scripture. A preacher in the Episcopal/Anglican Church might have a very different set of values to a preacher in one of the Baptist or Pentecostal Churches. Does your church view The Bible as inerrant, infallible and unchanging or does it take a broader and more relaxed view? As a Sunday School teacher, you should know how your church approaches scripture and this should help to inform you of your Dad's attitude. If he hangs on every word, as written, it may be more difficult and uncomfortable for you, but that's not certain. Even amongst the most evangelical groupings there is now a growing acceptance of LGBT people.

Can you maybe start by telling us how your church approches The Bible?