1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cryptic or Direct?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ByAnyOtherName, Apr 9, 2015.

1. ByAnyOtherName

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi, I originally wished to wait until my next appointment with my counselor to discuss the matter of referrals (I wish to see someone that handles lgbt issues). My hope was that he had a network of contacts (other counselors, therapists) from which he might recommend someone. To be honest, I really don't know how that all works. However, since I have heard that waiting isn't necessary, I've decided to expedite things and begin my search for potential therapists/counselors.

So here's the problem. My mother is much more knowledgeable about the administrative aspect of the healthcare system, so it would be foolish not to ask her for help. How do I do this without sounding cryptic and worrying her? Would it be better to come out to her? I have reservations about doing that because I am not 100% sure right now about my gender identity. Right now I don't think it would be worth the potential impact on my family, but I really don't want to see her worry (she struggles with anxiety). What do you think?

2. LameBoo

Maybe you can ask for a person you trust to help you? They can ask your mom instead you. Its just an idea

3. ByAnyOtherName

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yeah. I don't know what I was thinking. I get weird when I'm really tired. I'll just try to limit her involvement in the search. Less need to dance around my reasons.

4. LameBoo

It's common for mothers to worry, a lot.
    Hope you get a good rest c: