1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I come out? When do I come out? I'm 13?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by InMyCloset, Apr 9, 2015.

1. InMyCloset

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hi, I'm a 13 year old lesbian and I'm 100% sure I'm a lesbian. And I was wondering how do I come out? I want to come out soon, but I don't know if I should wait? Thanks a bunch.

2. AnnoNemus

That depends on a huge number of factors: Are your parents accepting? Would you be putting yourself in any sort of danger if you came out? How progressive is your school? How openminded is the community you live in? Given that you're 13 years old, you're in an extremely vulnerable position in that you have very little control over your own life. If your parents or teachers turn out to be homophobic, you could be in a bit of a bind. It would probably be best to put out feelers, and try to figure out who in your closest social circles would be accepting of you, and confide in those people first. By doing that, you begin to build a sort of safety net of supporting people who can help you out later on down the road. You don't need to come out to everyone all at once. I know people who waited until graduating high school to tell their parents, because then they had enough control over their lives that they could just leave if things turned south.