1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prom

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by george678, Nov 18, 2008.

1. george678

Ok I know it is 3 years away or at least it is in England like I am 13 remember.:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    But what will I do when it comes to the prom?
    Should I?
    A)If I have a bf (I highly doubt) I ask him to the prom
    B)Not go
    C)Go with a girl :S

Thanks
    George

2. Nevermind

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Depends on the the type of school you're at, If it's gonna put you in any danger going
    with a boy then no.
    If your school is pretty chill about these kinda things then go with a boy girl whatever. A lot of people do go to prom alone or with friends, it's not like you need a date.

I didn't go to my year 11 prom because I didn't want to wear a dress, I wouldn't have dared go in a suit or something, because I was extremely shy and closeted at the time. The thought of standing out horrified me.
    I regret not going now, and I think you would too.

But now I definatley plan on going to year 13 prom, and I'll definatley take my gf if I have one.

But anyway, like you said, It's three years away! You've got ages to worry about this. You'll be amazed at how much can happen and how much your confidence can grow in three years.

3. xequar

The Universe can change quite a bit in three years. Worry about it then.

As for me, I didn't go to my Junior or Senior prom, and I don't regret missing either of them.

4. george678

Oh Ok.
    I am lonely.:frowning2:

5. JWAD

JWAD Guest

well I went with my bf but we'd both been out for a while by then. I'd say if you dont have a bd then C, but if you do then talk to him about it first, he might not want to go and be outed that way and so going together might not be a good idea, if thats the case go with other ppl or by yourselves but definately go or you will regret not.

6. george678

Ok thanks for your help.
    I hate being single.

7. Psychedelic Bookmarks

(*hug*) Bad luck. :frowning2: But remember that almost everyone is single at 13. So, it's something everyone's been through. You really can't expect a bf at 13, nor would it necessarily be as awesome as you think it would be even if you did have one.

8. Rosina

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I agree with Nevermind and Xequar, soooo much will happen in three years, I wouldn't worry about it at all, just go with the flow and see where you are in three years; it'll be GCSEs and everything :slight_smile:

And yeah, depends on the school, if you're likely to get penilised and you/your school can't stand up to it, I woulnd't risk going with a guy, unless you both feel confident that you can defy the odds and hold your heads high, plus it helps if you're both out and accepted!

Don't worry about it now, I'm still single too, but... a lot can happen in three years....

9. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My friend works in a recording studio. (He's the guy playing guitar in the Martin birthday video.) He occasionally has to say to bands, "Let's not worry about what to wear to the Grammies until we actually finish recording the song."

Focus on the song, and you can deal with the Grammies when the time comes. :slight_smile:

Lex

10. george678

Ok thanks for your help guys.
    I might just go alone.

11. xequar

For what it's worth... Three years ago, I would have never dreamed of being with another guy. Three years ago, I was just beginning to finally grapple with accepting that I'm gay.

A lot can happen in three years.

12. mikeyjames17

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well. If I have a boyfriend when its my prom (this year), i'm not asking him, because i would much prefer go with my best friend who is female. I mean i wouldn't wanna go with my bf due to the fact i know i'd get looks and what not. So i mean i would save our dance for after prom and see him then and like carry it on just with him :slight_smile:
    Your prom night can still be special, but i say its way better when your spending it with your friends :slight_smile:

13. Brandford

Chances are i wont be going to my junior prom this year and i probably wont end up going to my senior prom next year either

as for you
    A) if you have a bf you have no reason not to go
    B) Don't go if you know you wont end up regretting it
    C) Don't go with a girl unless she knows your not interested in her, like a friend

14. george678

Yes ok thanks for the advice guys.

15. Trumpetplyer23

Yeah, I'm jumping on the band wagon a little late, but whatever.

Dude, go, whether or not you have a boyfriend, there's nothing wrong with going alone, or 'stag' as it's called. I had friends who went to Prom alone, if you don't go you'll miss out on a great memory. And when you're like, sixty, you'll regret it.

16. george678

Thanks for that.

17. Trumpetplyer23

You're welcome. And remember, when you're at Prom, have a kick butt time :thumbsup:.

18. thespanishheart

If you're not sure how it will be received by the school body, but you still want to ask him to prom, I think your best idea is to go with friends. People go to prom in groups all teh time, especially those without dates. It's not looked down on or anything. Then you could both go together and nobody will ask questions. Now if you two start dancing together, people might start to wonder, but it's your call.

19. musican

I'm going to prom with my best friend and she knows that I'm gay and we think of each other as brother and sister so there's no chance of her having feelings for me or me for her. I only wonder what other people will be like because they will no doubt say that my friend and I should dance because we would make a cute couple; when most people meet us they ask us if we're related first, then if we're going out, then when we say no, they tell us that we should go out becuase we're perfect for ach other. The only reason that could be an issue is if people are talking about my friend and I at the after party at her house and her dad overhears because he doesnt want her to have a boyfriend and Im not out to him.

I would say just concentrate on other things for now because like other people have said, three years is a long time. I would say that you should go becuase prom is a different experiece and you shouldnt miss it, even if you go by yourself. I would say that if you wanted to go with someone, it would be best to go with a friend that knows you're only friends. That way you can have a good time and not worry about how people will treat you and your date.

Oh and dont sweat being single. I'm 16 and I've never had a boyfriend, or a girlfriend for that matter. I know it's lonely, but dont dwell on it. Just enjoy being yourself, enjoy being single. Make new friends if you're really lonely, I know that it might not be what you want, but friendships usually last longer than relationships so it would probably be good for you.

#19 musican, Nov 23, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
  20. thespanishheart

I never went to my prom :eusa_danc