1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out as a personal or political statement?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Daffyd, Apr 10, 2015.

1. Daffyd

Hi everyone!
    About half a year ago I came out to myself and since then I've informed several people of my sexuality, telling them I was gay.
    Over the last few months the way I identify has shifted slightly several times, and right now I'm sticking with homoflexible or 'usually' gay (we'll see how long that lasts :wink: ), which is where my question comes from:
    Given that most straight people have little to no idea of what homo-flexible even means and I don't feel like giving people a Kinsey Scale class every time I come out, is it a good idea to come out as queer?

I mean, I know it's very political - which I'm totally for, by the way - but I'm wondering if it's a term I could use to simply simplify my orientation to my acquaintances and less close friends.
    What are the implications of being queer as opposed to those of being 'just' gay?

Is it wise to use the word queer for this situation or should I just give everyone I come out to the lecture? Are there other terms I can use to describe my sexuality without having to go too deep?

2. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Keep it simple and tell them you are gay. Most people are totally unfamiliar with all the subtle sexuality distinctions you read here, but they don't have any problem thinking you are queer, but politely referring to you as "gay", which sounds less critical than "queer".

3. mapleluv

The word queer tends to be about as, if not more, confusing to people as homoflexible. So I wouldn't suggest going there.

Just saying you're mostly attracted to men should suffice for most people.