1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"fixable"

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by thesilentpoet, Nov 18, 2008.

1. thesilentpoet

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I came out two years ago to my parents. We've only talked about me being gay twice. And yet, they still think I'm "fixable." How do I prove to them I'm not?

2. Mickey

Give it time. When they see for themselves that nothing changes,that's all the "proof" you need.

3. xequar

Just keep being you and give it time. You're still young, so your parents likely haven't adapted to the fact that you're becoming a hormonal teenager, with hormones that lead you not-straight. Once you start seeing someone, that'll help drive the point home quite a bit.

Like I said, give it time.

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    At age 14, you don't. The common (mis)perception is that everything a 14-year-old feels is "a phase" that they'll "grow out of". The only cure for this is time, when months and years go by, and the phase hasn't worn off yet. :slight_smile:

Lex

5. Jesse Jinx

You can't really prove anything quite yet. I agree with xequar in that once you start to see someone, it'll really show them what's going on. Time time time. :grin:

6. RonApple

RonApple Guest

Um, since you came out two years ago, that would have made u 12, so when you told then they probably just thought it was the phase as all the how-to-raise-a-teenager books say. I read a couple just outa curiosity. The good news is that your parents will realise that it isn't just a phase, i was like your parents, i also thought it was just a phase for a few years.

Just give them time, when the time is right the conversation will pop up again, and they will eventually start realizing who you are. Good Luck :slight_smile: