1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small-minded bitchiness from straights at school

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Psychedelic Bookmarks, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Psychedelic Bookmarks

Today in the school canteen when I was sitting down by my friends, some of the people sitting on a neighbouring table, from the year just above me, started making fun of me. They were calling out "nice tie!" and bollocks like that.

[Context: In the sixth form at my school, boys have to wear ties but girls can choose whether or not to wear ties. In reality, none of the girls wear ties, all choosing instead to wear feminine little blouses and necklaces. I'm the only girl who wears a shirt and tie like the boys.]

I know it might sound like a pathetic thing to moan about: "nice tie" isn't that bad, right? Well, you should have heard the nasty tone they had. I didn't even know them, they were just random people in the year above, but they felt it was alright to call this mocking stuff and laugh at me. I'm sure I heard them saying "lesbian" too, after I sat down. I just ignored them totally, but it made me feel embaressed and sad.

This isn't the only time people have had a go at me about the tie either. Practical strangers think it's fine to walk up to me and demand "why do you wear a tie?". I just wish they'd all fuck off.

I know it's kind of my fault by being different - if I just stopped wearing it, they'd not have any reason to notice me. But I want to wear a tie. Is that such a crime?? :icon_sad:

2. Trumpetplyer23

I personally love ties. I adore them.

Usually when people ask me why I wear ties I say, "because I want to. You wish you were as cool as me and could wear a tie."

You should never be ashamed of the choices you make regarding your fashion. Unless it's something like getting a foot tattooed on your forehead. Then you should probably be a little ashamed...But, if they keep pestering you (and its a girl) I'd say, 'what, are you jealous you can't wear a tie and look this good? Is that why you don't wear them? 'Cause you look all stupid with one on?'

Turn it back around on them. And be proud to be yourself :thumbsup:

3. Janvier

(*hug*)
    You have the balls (so to speak) to be different from the rest of the pack and I think that's great !!
    Don't let them get to you cos at the end of the day, you're the better person and they just suck.
    I was teased at school for being different until I got really popular for being different. I had enough confidence and just laughed right back in their face, they felt pretty stupid.

DON'T stop wearing the tie, otherwise they win.

4. xequar

No it absolutely is not your fault. You could follow TrumpetPlayer's advice and respond with something like, "You could only WISH you looked as good as I do." Or, you could just tell them to all go take a long walk off a short pier. Or, you could try something like, "Sorry, I'm not interested in being a copy of a boring person."

Either way, keep on doing what you're doing and don't be scared to give as good as you get.

5. Mickey

Wear what you want. Piss on the people who don't like it!
    I was the only girl in school that wore an army jacket.
    If anyone said anything,I'd just ignore them. If they know it bugs you,
    they'll keep it up. People like that HATE to be ignored!

6. xequar

Quoted for truth. If you show them their comments don't bother you and that they don't bother you, they'll get bored.

7. Rygirl

I get so much greive from girls at school about having gay friends, being a witch, being different. You just stick to your close friends and let the others do as they will, who cares what they think? from the sounds of what you wrote you don't even know them that well. Its someone very inxecure indeed who has to make themselves feel big by making others feel small, you just have to let it wash over your head, if those girls want to be childish then just let them. You're bigger than them.

8. aaaaaa

aaaaaa Guest

Me too! I wear my dad's old flight jacket all the time, and regularly get teased about my tomboy appearance. I don't let it bother me at all-- people only really tease you when they're insecure about themselves.

9. Evilmonkey

something we all need to learn at some stage is that words are only words until you give them feelings. if you choose to ignore them, you will no doubt feel better, and its definitely a good lesson to learn in life, and the school ground is the best place to learn it. Let them know it doesnt bother you, or turn it back on them as suggested and they should back off (although maybe not, depending on why they are doing it) but either way be confindent in the fact that yes, you are different, like everyone else, except unlike everyone else you dont try to hide it. well done
    be proud you can wear what you want to wear and remember people would yell out at them if they werent so bland. xoxo