1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I come out to my school guidance counselor?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by bigcityboy, Apr 12, 2015.

1. bigcityboy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey guys, I need some advice. (Context: Junior in HS, college apps process coming up fast) I was wondering if I should meet with my guidance counselor to come out to her. I've already done that in writing because in an online form she'll use to write my college recommendation, I mentioned that one of my biggest struggles right now is coming out to people. So since she's going to have read that by May, she'll find out sooner or later. I don't know if she can help me resolve some issues I have, like coming out to more friends and my parents. I'm scared to talk to her, even though she's nice and I know she'll definitely accept me and try to help me, but it's just, I don't know, it's nerve-wracking to talk about being gay with an adult at school...

I'm also wondering if should do it because I'm supposed to build a good relationship with my counselor, and I also might want to write about the struggles of being closeted in my college essays. So, it might help to talk to her about it for personal reasons, and for getting into college reasons. God, I feel like I'm milking the gay cow for college apps, does that make me a bad person? I don't know. A little bit of lolz, but some serious advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. BonnieJ2604

I think that it is a great idea to come out to her because she will help her so much. Everything is confidential so she wont tell anyone that you don't want to know. It may be nerve wracking at first but eventually you will benefit greatly.
    Take estimated risks
    Best Wishes
    -Bonnie<3

3. Foz

Foz Guest

I say you should go for it, I feel it is much better to come out to someone who you're not as close to first. It's one of the people you can probably trust most as they're not going to be texting their friends saying 'so and so is gay'.

4. nohalos

It will definitely help you to come out to other people (i.e. your friends and parents). And basically, you've come out to her already, since you've mentioned it on the online form already.

And about college essays, eh, that is one more reason to come out to her! And you'll have at least one person to support you if ever someone finds it hard to accept who you are. :slight_smile:

This is probably out of context but I did write something about how gay people are treated in my country. And I had to consult to my professor about it and she asked "Did you see this happening PERSONALLY before?" And I got so scared but I blurted out "I've experienced it before" and she asked "Have you?" and I went with "I've seen it before...." It got scary because I don't know if she was gonna be accepting but I guess she doesn't care anyway.

Got carried away but good luck!